Jan 5, 2014, 9:15 AM EST
Dayton earned an impressive road victory on Saturday when Devin Oliver banked a 3-pointer from the top of the key to top Ole Miss 83-80 in overtime. For Oliver, he scored 22 of his career-high 26 points after halftime.
Jarvis Summers had a game-high 29 points for Ole Miss while Marshall Henderson added 15.
UMass is the only ranked team from the Atlantic 10 Conference at the moment. VCU started out the season ranked No. 10, but fell out after a disastrous trip to Puerto Rico. The Flyers had a brief stint in the top 25 after its performance in Maui, but an upset loss to Illinois State bounced them from the rankings.
Adding Ole Miss to wins against Gonzaga and Cal — both during the Maui Invitational — and the Rebels have a resume that compares to the Minutemen’s wins over New Mexico, Providence and LSU.
Dayton knocking off Ole Miss was the second A-10 program to defeat an SEC team on Saturday with Rhode Island pulling off a road upset over LSU.
Oliver’s heroics over Ole Miss suggest the Atlantic 10 will be one of the more exciting conferences with UMass, Saint Louis, VCU, George Washington and Dayton all make cases for bids to the NCAA tournament.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)