Jan 5, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Dayton earned an impressive road victory on Saturday when Devin Oliver banked a 3-pointer from the top of the key to top Ole Miss 83-80 in overtime. For Oliver, he scored 22 of his career-high 26 points after halftime.
Jarvis Summers had a game-high 29 points for Ole Miss while Marshall Henderson added 15.
UMass is the only ranked team from the Atlantic 10 Conference at the moment. VCU started out the season ranked No. 10, but fell out after a disastrous trip to Puerto Rico. The Flyers had a brief stint in the top 25 after its performance in Maui, but an upset loss to Illinois State bounced them from the rankings.
Adding Ole Miss to wins against Gonzaga and Cal — both during the Maui Invitational — and the Rebels have a resume that compares to the Minutemen’s wins over New Mexico, Providence and LSU.
Dayton knocking off Ole Miss was the second A-10 program to defeat an SEC team on Saturday with Rhode Island pulling off a road upset over LSU.
Oliver’s heroics over Ole Miss suggest the Atlantic 10 will be one of the more exciting conferences with UMass, Saint Louis, VCU, George Washington and Dayton all make cases for bids to the NCAA tournament.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)