Jan 5, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Dayton earned an impressive road victory on Saturday when Devin Oliver banked a 3-pointer from the top of the key to top Ole Miss 83-80 in overtime. For Oliver, he scored 22 of his career-high 26 points after halftime.
Jarvis Summers had a game-high 29 points for Ole Miss while Marshall Henderson added 15.
UMass is the only ranked team from the Atlantic 10 Conference at the moment. VCU started out the season ranked No. 10, but fell out after a disastrous trip to Puerto Rico. The Flyers had a brief stint in the top 25 after its performance in Maui, but an upset loss to Illinois State bounced them from the rankings.
Adding Ole Miss to wins against Gonzaga and Cal — both during the Maui Invitational — and the Rebels have a resume that compares to the Minutemen’s wins over New Mexico, Providence and LSU.
Dayton knocking off Ole Miss was the second A-10 program to defeat an SEC team on Saturday with Rhode Island pulling off a road upset over LSU.
Oliver’s heroics over Ole Miss suggest the Atlantic 10 will be one of the more exciting conferences with UMass, Saint Louis, VCU, George Washington and Dayton all make cases for bids to the NCAA tournament.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 14
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 9
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 71
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 17
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (75)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)