Jan 5, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Dayton earned an impressive road victory on Saturday when Devin Oliver banked a 3-pointer from the top of the key to top Ole Miss 83-80 in overtime. For Oliver, he scored 22 of his career-high 26 points after halftime.
Jarvis Summers had a game-high 29 points for Ole Miss while Marshall Henderson added 15.
UMass is the only ranked team from the Atlantic 10 Conference at the moment. VCU started out the season ranked No. 10, but fell out after a disastrous trip to Puerto Rico. The Flyers had a brief stint in the top 25 after its performance in Maui, but an upset loss to Illinois State bounced them from the rankings.
Adding Ole Miss to wins against Gonzaga and Cal — both during the Maui Invitational — and the Rebels have a resume that compares to the Minutemen’s wins over New Mexico, Providence and LSU.
Dayton knocking off Ole Miss was the second A-10 program to defeat an SEC team on Saturday with Rhode Island pulling off a road upset over LSU.
Oliver’s heroics over Ole Miss suggest the Atlantic 10 will be one of the more exciting conferences with UMass, Saint Louis, VCU, George Washington and Dayton all make cases for bids to the NCAA tournament.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)