Jan 5, 2014, 8:50 PM EST
So that was ugly.
There really isn’t much else to say about the performance that No. 16 Kansas had in their 61-57 loss to No. 21 San Diego State on Sunday night.
The Jayhawks shot 29.8% from the floor, a number that didn’t work its way about 25% until late in the second half. They were 4-for-16 from three. They gave up 19 offensive rebounds, 14 of which came in the second half and led to 12 momentum-killing second-chance points.
How often do you see a Bill Self-coached team play this poorly? Last season’s debacle against TCU immediately comes to mind, but at least that game was played on the road. Kansas snapped a 68-game home court winning streak with Sunday’s monstrosity.
So what’s plaguing Kansas?
Where do I start:
- San Diego State has a big, athletic front line, so credit must be given to them. But that doesn’t change the fact that Joel Embiid, Perry Ellis and Andrew Wiggins got absolutely Big Boy’d by Steve Fisher’s team in the paint. That cannot happen with this team’s focus on the post offensively.
- I feel like we’ve been saying this for two years now, but Naadir Tharpe just isn’t the kind of point guard that the Jayhawks needs with this team.
- Neither Wayne Selden or Wiggins are ready to be go-to guys on the wing. Selden isn’t good enough yet and Wiggins simply isn’t that ‘I’m taking this game over, try to stop me’ guy yet.
- Kansas doesn’t have anyone with a ‘killer’ mentality. They don’t have a Marcus Smart or a Shabazz Napier or even a guy like Jabari Parker. As crazy as this sounds, I think that I would be the most comfortable with Frank Mason — a backup, freshman point guard and a former Towson commit — taking a shot in the final minute.
Those are a lot of flaws, and that’s going to be a lot to overcome.
But remember, despite all of those flaws, despite how poorly they played on Sunday, they still missed a free throw that would have tied the game in the final 20 seconds in a game against a top 25 opponent.
And now remember this: it’s January 5th, and this team is awfully young. Their best lineup probably includes four freshmen and a sophomore. They’re still learning, and with a coach like Self working with malleable minds like Embiid, Wiggins and Selden, there’s not reason to think they won’t continue to improve.
Is it a concern that the Jayhawks are still this far behind in their development as Big 12 play is getting started?
It would be foolish to say no.
But the talent on this roster is undeniable.
And I’m not ready to bet against Bill Self just yet.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
Floyd was ejected with 10:05 remaining in the Miners’ 77-60 loss at Louisiana Tech, and he failed to leave the court in a timely manner.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:59 PM EST
Billy Donovan would like to see his veteran forward make some strides in the commitment department moving forward.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
On the heels of St. John’s last NCAA appearance in 2011, seven players joined the program. Three remain, and their aim is to get to the Big Dance as seniors.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Also of note is the second meeting of the season between rivals Iona and Manhattan.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:12 PM EST
Shooting 7-for-10 from three over the last two games, Gabe York has hit multiple three-pointers in consecutive games for the first time since mid-December. That’s a good development for Arizona.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:01 AM EST
While the Wildcats continue to roll along, other one-seeds are up for discussion as the season moves into the month of March.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:55 AM EST
Leading by six with 34 seconds remaining in regulation, Michigan State looked to be on their way to a home win over Minnesota. Then they fouled three-point shooters on two separate occasions.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:07 AM EST
I hope you’re ready for a thrilling day of hoops.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:31 AM EST
Michigan State fouled three-point shooters on two separate occasions late in regulation, and it set the stage for an overtime loss at home.
Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV
Feb 26, 2015, 11:47 PM EST
The Vandy freshman taunted a Tennessee player as time expired in the Commodores’ win, and his head coach read him the riot act in the handshake line.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:29 PM EST
Who were the winners and the losers on the bubble on Thursday?
Feb 26, 2015, 9:17 PM EST
Tate scored a career-high 22 points Thursday night, and his move into the starting lineup has helped Ohio State.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:35 PM EST
Five year-old Nicholas Wince spent the entire day with West Virginia prior to their win over Texas, signing a National Letter of Intent as well.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:54 PM EST
Without Jordan McLaughlin, USC will have to rely on Julian Jacobs at the point in their final two regular season games.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:50 PM EST
In addition to a ruptured plantar fascia suffered in a loss to Florida in late-January, Ricky Tarrant also needs to undergo a procedure on his left knee.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Boeheim doesn’t seem pleased about the ruling.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
This borders on criminal.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:37 PM EST
There aren’t many surprises here.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:54 PM EST
SMU will also be making a trip to visit Memphis.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:58 AM EST
This is incredible.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)