Jan 5, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
So that was ugly.
There really isn’t much else to say about the performance that No. 16 Kansas had in their 61-57 loss to No. 21 San Diego State on Sunday night.
The Jayhawks shot 29.8% from the floor, a number that didn’t work its way about 25% until late in the second half. They were 4-for-16 from three. They gave up 19 offensive rebounds, 14 of which came in the second half and led to 12 momentum-killing second-chance points.
How often do you see a Bill Self-coached team play this poorly? Last season’s debacle against TCU immediately comes to mind, but at least that game was played on the road. Kansas snapped a 68-game home court winning streak with Sunday’s monstrosity.
So what’s plaguing Kansas?
Where do I start:
- San Diego State has a big, athletic front line, so credit must be given to them. But that doesn’t change the fact that Joel Embiid, Perry Ellis and Andrew Wiggins got absolutely Big Boy’d by Steve Fisher’s team in the paint. That cannot happen with this team’s focus on the post offensively.
- I feel like we’ve been saying this for two years now, but Naadir Tharpe just isn’t the kind of point guard that the Jayhawks needs with this team.
- Neither Wayne Selden or Wiggins are ready to be go-to guys on the wing. Selden isn’t good enough yet and Wiggins simply isn’t that ‘I’m taking this game over, try to stop me’ guy yet.
- Kansas doesn’t have anyone with a ‘killer’ mentality. They don’t have a Marcus Smart or a Shabazz Napier or even a guy like Jabari Parker. As crazy as this sounds, I think that I would be the most comfortable with Frank Mason — a backup, freshman point guard and a former Towson commit — taking a shot in the final minute.
Those are a lot of flaws, and that’s going to be a lot to overcome.
But remember, despite all of those flaws, despite how poorly they played on Sunday, they still missed a free throw that would have tied the game in the final 20 seconds in a game against a top 25 opponent.
And now remember this: it’s January 5th, and this team is awfully young. Their best lineup probably includes four freshmen and a sophomore. They’re still learning, and with a coach like Self working with malleable minds like Embiid, Wiggins and Selden, there’s not reason to think they won’t continue to improve.
Is it a concern that the Jayhawks are still this far behind in their development as Big 12 play is getting started?
It would be foolish to say no.
But the talent on this roster is undeniable.
And I’m not ready to bet against Bill Self just yet.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
UNC now has 90 days to craft a response to the NCAA’s allegations.
May 22, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
This isn’t the only addition UConn hopes to make to the 2016 class in the very near future.
May 22, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
The Wildcats will also take on Arizona State, UCLA and Ohio State in non-conference play.
May 22, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Mohamed and Bakersfield big man Aly Ahmed argued in 2013 that bad advice led to them being ruled ineligible that season at Houston and Bakersfield, respectively.
May 21, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
The slender forward joins Sacha Killeya-Jones, Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy in Virginia’s 2016 haul.
May 21, 2015, 9:35 PM EDT
Davis joins grassroots teammate C.J. Williamson Jr. in Texas Tech’s 2015 recruiting haul.
May 21, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
UNC fell short in the race for Brandon Ingram, and the investigation was a big reason why.
May 21, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
John Calipari will coach against former assistant Orlando Antigua November 27 in Miami.
May 21, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
The Jonesboro, Georgia native averaged 11.9 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game as a redshirt junior at UALR.
May 21, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
Last spring Mark Turgeon was seen by some as being on the “hot seat.” This spring, one sports book believes he’s got the early favorite to win the national title in 2016.
May 21, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
Thanks a lot, Christian.
May 21, 2015, 2:09 PM EDT
Cal is always selling his program, and his latest viral quote is no different.
May 21, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
It’s not as weird as it sounds.
May 21, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Holman was expected to spend 2015-16 at a prep school.
May 21, 2015, 11:38 AM EDT
These are pretty funny.
May 21, 2015, 10:34 AM EDT
But this overt display of ‘amateurism’ may actually be good for the fight for student-athlete rights.
May 21, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The Red Storm are now up to seven newcomers with this addition.
May 20, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
While Chicago has been discussed for quite some time as a franchise that may approach “The Mayor,” they still have a head coach in Tom Thibodeau.
May 20, 2015, 7:55 PM EDT
Jones was suspended two weeks after the team’s season came to an end.
May 20, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
The news came one day after former Liberty forward Tomasz Gielo transferred to Ole Miss.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 0
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 0
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (6)
- NCAA rules committee proposes 30-second shot clock, fewer timeouts (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)