Jan 5, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
John Groce and his Illinois Fighting Illini got more than just a 75-55 win over Penn State on Saturday afternoon. He also added to his 2015 recruiting class.
Plainfield East High (Ill.) junior shooting guard Aaron Jordan told Groce he had made his committed to Illinois on Saturday, according to Marcus Jackson of the News-Gazette.
The 6-foot-4 guard is a four-start shooting guard, ranked as the No. 60 overall recruit in the Class of 2015 by Rivals. He held offers Creighton, Indiana, La Salle, Northwestern and Wisconsin before deciding to end his recruitment early. He is the second four-star recruit in the Illini’s 2015 class. Simeon Career Academy (Ill.) junior small forward D.J. Williams became the first back in early November.
“I just felt the time was right; it was Legend’s Day at Illinois and all the Flyin’ Illini were there, and it just felt right to do it,” Jordan told the Chicago Tribune on Saturday after announcing his commitment. “I went through the whole process, and at the end of the day, Illinois was the one. It’s close to home, I grew up in Illinois. It’s home.
“I’m really excited,” Jordan said. “Coach (Groce) wasn’t expecting me to commit. I wanted to get it over with. He was very happy.”
Back court depth is something Illinois will have plenty of moving forward. Rayvonte Rice, Tracy Abrams, Joseph Bertrand, Kendrick Nunn, Malcolm Hill and Jaylon Tate are all averaging more than 10 minutes a game. And while Rice, Abrams, Bertrand and Oregon State transfer Ahmad Starks will run out of eligibility by the time Jordan steps on the Champaign campus, Nunn, Hill and Tate will still be there as well as Seton Hall transfer Aaron Crosby.
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)