Jan 5, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
John Groce and his Illinois Fighting Illini got more than just a 75-55 win over Penn State on Saturday afternoon. He also added to his 2015 recruiting class.
Plainfield East High (Ill.) junior shooting guard Aaron Jordan told Groce he had made his committed to Illinois on Saturday, according to Marcus Jackson of the News-Gazette.
The 6-foot-4 guard is a four-start shooting guard, ranked as the No. 60 overall recruit in the Class of 2015 by Rivals. He held offers Creighton, Indiana, La Salle, Northwestern and Wisconsin before deciding to end his recruitment early. He is the second four-star recruit in the Illini’s 2015 class. Simeon Career Academy (Ill.) junior small forward D.J. Williams became the first back in early November.
“I just felt the time was right; it was Legend’s Day at Illinois and all the Flyin’ Illini were there, and it just felt right to do it,” Jordan told the Chicago Tribune on Saturday after announcing his commitment. “I went through the whole process, and at the end of the day, Illinois was the one. It’s close to home, I grew up in Illinois. It’s home.
“I’m really excited,” Jordan said. “Coach (Groce) wasn’t expecting me to commit. I wanted to get it over with. He was very happy.”
Back court depth is something Illinois will have plenty of moving forward. Rayvonte Rice, Tracy Abrams, Joseph Bertrand, Kendrick Nunn, Malcolm Hill and Jaylon Tate are all averaging more than 10 minutes a game. And while Rice, Abrams, Bertrand and Oregon State transfer Ahmad Starks will run out of eligibility by the time Jordan steps on the Champaign campus, Nunn, Hill and Tate will still be there as well as Seton Hall transfer Aaron Crosby.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)