Jan 6, 2014, 9:26 AM EDT
Last week, I had Michigan State sitting at fifth behind four undefeated teams: Arizona, Syracuse, Wisconsin and Ohio State.
I have the Spartans second, jumping them past Syracuse, Wisconsin and Ohio State despite the fact that none of those three teams lost this week.
Which probably doesn’t make a ton of sense considering the fact that in most polls, the only way a teams drops is if they lose.
But here’s where I counter: the biggest reason that Michigan State lost to North Carolina, and thus the biggest reason that they found themselves ranked as low as they were, was that the Spartans spent much of the month of December battling nagging injuries to a number of their key players. Gary Harris had an ankle injury. Adreian Payne is dealing with planter fasciitis. Matt Costello had mono. Keith Appling had a bum wrist.
That would be four of their five starters.
And now that those guys are healthier, the Spartans are starting to roll again. They whipped up on Penn State and Indiana on the road this past week, looking as dominant as ever. And when this team is healthy and playing its best basketball, they are the best team in the Big Ten and easily one of the best teams in the country.
So they get the bump even if the teams they jumped didn’t necessarily deserve to drop.
THE CBT TOP 25
1. Arizona (15-0, LW: No. 1): After putting together one of the most dominating defensive performances of the season, giving up just 25 points to Washington State, the Wildcats struggled to finally put away Washington on Saturday.
2. Michigan State (13-1, LW: No. 5): Gary Harris had a career-high 26 points in a 17-point win at Indiana on Saturday.
3. Syracuse (14-0, LW: No. 2): The Orange struggled to put away Miami at home in their ACC opener, and it had a lot to do with the 2-for-12 performance they got from Trevor Cooney.
4. Wisconsin (15-0, LW: No. 3): Wisconsin was dominated in the first half of their win over Iowa in the Kohl Center on Sunday night. They came back in the second half in a win that was sparked by a pair of technicals that Fran McCaffery picked up.
5. Ohio State (15-0, LW: No. 4): LaQuinton Ross scored 36 points in two wins this week, but just as important was the fact that Shannon Scott hit four of the ten threes that he took against Purdue and Nebraska.
6. Florida (11-2, LW: No. 8): The Gators only played one game this week, struggling to beat Richmond in their last non-conference game. Michael Frazier had been struggling a bit but went for 18 points in the win.
7. Villanova (13-1, LW: No. 10): Villanova narrowly avoided getting picked off by Butler at Hinkle Fieldhouse on New Year’s Eve, following that up with a blowout win over Providence at home on Sunday night.
8. Wichita State (15-0, LW: No. 11): How many teams in the country have a better back court than the Shockers’ trio of Fred VanVleet, Ron Baker and Tekele Cotton? I’m not sure there are five.
9. San Diego State (12-1, LW: No. 21): The Aztecs won a pair of road games in two of the toughest environments in the country last week, going into Moby Arena and beating Colorado State before knocking off Kansas in Phog Allen Fieldhouse.
10. Colorado (13-2, LW: No. 24): The Buffaloes are now off to their best start in school history and have picked up home wins over Oregon and Kansas.
11. Oregon (13-1, LW: No. 12)
12. Kentucky (10-3, LW: No. 13)
13. Duke (11-3, LW: No. 6)
14. Louisville (13-2, LW: No. 14)
15. Kansas (9-4, LW: No. 9)
16. Baylor (12-1, LW: No. 15)
17. Oklahoma State (12-2, LW: No. 8)
18. Iowa State (13-0, LW: No. 18)
19. Iowa (12-3, LW: No. 19)
20. Illinois (13-2, LW: No. 22)
21. Missouri (12-1, LW: No. 23)
22. Creighton (12-2, LW: UR)
23. Cincinnati (13-2, LW: UR)
24. Memphis (10-3, LW: No. 17)
25. UMass (12-1, LW: No. 25)
Aug 4, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
The lawsuit stems from an alleged incident back in March of 2014.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 power forward becomes the third four-star recruit in the Class of 2016 to commit to the Cavaliers.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:01 PM EDT
Both teams will be ranked in the preseason top 15 this season.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
Xavier Stapleton is sitting out this season after transferring from Louisiana Tech.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The Miners have a lot to replace next season.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
West is one of the best mid-major players in the country.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:08 AM EDT
Those are some serious hops.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
This kid isn’t even a sophomore yet.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
There are two glaring weaknesses to Kris Dunn’s game. Here’s how he’s gone about trying to fix them this summer.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
A cool documentary-style approach to the Under Armour Association in preparation for the Elite 24.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Nebraska is hoping a four-game trip in Spain helps with their freshmen.
Aug 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Baylor is losing a reserve forward to transfer.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Mamadi Diakite, a four-star forward, could decide between three schools soon, per a report.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Tony Carr is a four-star point guard that picked Penn State over Maryland, SMU and Providence.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
The investigation was conducted by an outside law firm and paid for by the university.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Alkins might be the best player from New York City since Lance Stephenson.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
The schedule isn’t the best you’ll see this season, but it’s pretty solid nonetheless.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
St. John’s remains under consideration for the Brooklyn native.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
He’s the younger brother of five-star 2017 forward Michael Porter Jr., and Michael Sr. considered joining the Washington staff this spring.
Aug 2, 2015, 5:10 PM EDT
With Vince Hunter in the professional ranks and Matt Willms dealing with a foot issue, this is an important pickup for the Miners.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)