Jan 6, 2014, 9:26 AM EST
Last week, I had Michigan State sitting at fifth behind four undefeated teams: Arizona, Syracuse, Wisconsin and Ohio State.
I have the Spartans second, jumping them past Syracuse, Wisconsin and Ohio State despite the fact that none of those three teams lost this week.
Which probably doesn’t make a ton of sense considering the fact that in most polls, the only way a teams drops is if they lose.
But here’s where I counter: the biggest reason that Michigan State lost to North Carolina, and thus the biggest reason that they found themselves ranked as low as they were, was that the Spartans spent much of the month of December battling nagging injuries to a number of their key players. Gary Harris had an ankle injury. Adreian Payne is dealing with planter fasciitis. Matt Costello had mono. Keith Appling had a bum wrist.
That would be four of their five starters.
And now that those guys are healthier, the Spartans are starting to roll again. They whipped up on Penn State and Indiana on the road this past week, looking as dominant as ever. And when this team is healthy and playing its best basketball, they are the best team in the Big Ten and easily one of the best teams in the country.
So they get the bump even if the teams they jumped didn’t necessarily deserve to drop.
THE CBT TOP 25
1. Arizona (15-0, LW: No. 1): After putting together one of the most dominating defensive performances of the season, giving up just 25 points to Washington State, the Wildcats struggled to finally put away Washington on Saturday.
2. Michigan State (13-1, LW: No. 5): Gary Harris had a career-high 26 points in a 17-point win at Indiana on Saturday.
3. Syracuse (14-0, LW: No. 2): The Orange struggled to put away Miami at home in their ACC opener, and it had a lot to do with the 2-for-12 performance they got from Trevor Cooney.
4. Wisconsin (15-0, LW: No. 3): Wisconsin was dominated in the first half of their win over Iowa in the Kohl Center on Sunday night. They came back in the second half in a win that was sparked by a pair of technicals that Fran McCaffery picked up.
5. Ohio State (15-0, LW: No. 4): LaQuinton Ross scored 36 points in two wins this week, but just as important was the fact that Shannon Scott hit four of the ten threes that he took against Purdue and Nebraska.
6. Florida (11-2, LW: No. 8): The Gators only played one game this week, struggling to beat Richmond in their last non-conference game. Michael Frazier had been struggling a bit but went for 18 points in the win.
7. Villanova (13-1, LW: No. 10): Villanova narrowly avoided getting picked off by Butler at Hinkle Fieldhouse on New Year’s Eve, following that up with a blowout win over Providence at home on Sunday night.
8. Wichita State (15-0, LW: No. 11): How many teams in the country have a better back court than the Shockers’ trio of Fred VanVleet, Ron Baker and Tekele Cotton? I’m not sure there are five.
9. San Diego State (12-1, LW: No. 21): The Aztecs won a pair of road games in two of the toughest environments in the country last week, going into Moby Arena and beating Colorado State before knocking off Kansas in Phog Allen Fieldhouse.
10. Colorado (13-2, LW: No. 24): The Buffaloes are now off to their best start in school history and have picked up home wins over Oregon and Kansas.
11. Oregon (13-1, LW: No. 12)
12. Kentucky (10-3, LW: No. 13)
13. Duke (11-3, LW: No. 6)
14. Louisville (13-2, LW: No. 14)
15. Kansas (9-4, LW: No. 9)
16. Baylor (12-1, LW: No. 15)
17. Oklahoma State (12-2, LW: No. 8)
18. Iowa State (13-0, LW: No. 18)
19. Iowa (12-3, LW: No. 19)
20. Illinois (13-2, LW: No. 22)
21. Missouri (12-1, LW: No. 23)
22. Creighton (12-2, LW: UR)
23. Cincinnati (13-2, LW: UR)
24. Memphis (10-3, LW: No. 17)
25. UMass (12-1, LW: No. 25)
Nov 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Florida will be without a key guard for at least a few games.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
More depth is coming for the Aggies.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
A solid Saturday slate features multiple ranked teams in action.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
A tremendous story continues to get better as Lauren Hill surprised teammates and fans by checking into her second college basketball game and scoring again on Friday night.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Cornell shouldn’t have given D.J. Newbill a chance.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Here is everything you need to know from Friday night hoops.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Florida nearly coughed up another win on Friday.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
Like the rest of the 2011 recruiting class, Jonathan Holmes could have left Texas. Instead he made the decision to stay, and he and the Longhorns are better because of it.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:17 PM EST
Justin Anderson led all scorers with 18.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
Syracuse is in this position because Tyler Ennis turned out to be better than anyone expected.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Isaiah Taylor injured his left wrist on a hard fall with just over two minutes remaining in Texas’ win over Iowa Thursday night.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:52 PM EST
The Mountaineers and Huskies will meet on Sunday.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:49 PM EST
Kansas hosts Rider on Monday night.
Clemson gets technical foul for calling a timeout it doesn’t have, coughs up game to Gardner Webb (VIDEO)
Nov 21, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
This has been a disastrous week for the Tigers.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
UConn will play the winner of Boston College-West Virginia.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Let’s just say that we aren’t too fond of the current shot clock or the rules regarding hanging on the rim.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
Mississippi State’s taken steps forward when it comes to improving the depth and talent in their program.
CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Arizona’s interior depth, Oklahoma gets rolling, another Memphis recruit reclassifies
Nov 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
News and notes on the world of college basketball recruiting.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:53 PM EST
Two of the four writers picked Indiana as a team that can surprise people in the Big Ten.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:02 PM EST
Less than a week after TaShawn Thomas was cleared to play, Danuel House received the good news regarding his waiver request.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 0
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)