Jan 6, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Fran McCaffery got himself tossed out of a game last night, bumping an official after getting a technical foul in a game where his team was winning at Wisconsin.
On Monday morning, the Iowa head coach sent out a statement.
“I want to apologize for my emotional reaction during Sunday night’s game at Wisconsin. I have great passion and respect for the game of basketball and everyone involved in it,” he said. “I regret that my actions put our program and the University of Iowa in a negative light. I look forward to working with my staff and my players to move forward and compete for a championship.”
He also had the following to say on today’s Big Ten conference call:
“I think you’ve got to be able to assess things that happen,” Iowa’s men’s basketball coach said on the weekly Big Ten teleconference. “That’s what you ask your players to do. You’ve got to be able to do that yourself and say, ‘All right, not what I wanted. I didn’t put our team in a position to benefit them, and I think you’ve got to be man enough to admit that and say, I regret that.’ I don’t want, in any way, put them in that position.
“Additionally, you don’t want to ever do anything to embarrass the university. We’re living in a different world where you get a double-T 10 years ago, you get a double-T and that’s it. Now everybody looks at it and sort of assesses it and weighs in on it and that’s just part of the world we live in. But to that end, I don’t want to ever do anything to embarrass the school but more importantly being able to put our team in a position where it would make it harder for them to win. I regret the second T, no question.”
Gary Barta, Iowa’s AD, also released a statement on the matter:
“I’ve met with Coach McCaffery regarding last night’s ejection from the game in Madison. He knows he crossed a line of acceptable behavior and accepts responsibility for his actions. All staff at the University of Iowa fully support the Big Ten Conference’s sportsmanship policy’s fundamental elements, including civility and respect toward opponents and game officials. Fran has my full support moving forward.”
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)