Jan 6, 2014, 2:53 PM EST
GAME OF THE NIGHT: Maryland at Pitt, 7:00 p.m.
I know you may be more invested in some football game that’s being played tonight, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be some intriguing hoops games on. Maryland and Pitt are in similar situations in that they are both trying to make a name for themselves in an ACC that is fairly wide open. Duke is sputtering, UNC is brutally inconsistent and Syracuse nearly got picked off by Miami in their own building.
Both the Panthers and the Terrapins are fairly unknown quantities at this point in the season. Maryland has struggled, but they’re just getting Seth Allen back into the fold. Pitt’s looked good, but they haven’t really played anyone that’s all that good. If you enjoy watching really good college basketball players, you’ll want to see Dez Wells and Lamar Patterson.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE NIGHT: Iona at Quinnipiac, 7:00 p.m.
An intriguing battle in the MAAC tonight. Iona is one of the nation’s most uptempo, high-scoring teams. But Quinnipiac is talented in their own right and will be able to pound the Gaels on the glass.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
1) A SWAC battle will be on ESPNU at 9:00 p.m. tonight as Southern takes on Texas Southern.
2) West Virginia will be playing a visit to Texas Tech tonight as Big 12 play is kicking into swing.
3) North Florida is sitting at 3-0 in the Atlantic Sun, but they will be hitting the road and visiting Northern Kentucky tonight.
4) Staying in the Atlantic Sun, Mercer lost to the Ospreys last week. They’ll be looking to get back into a rhythm tonight against East Tennessee State.
5) Canisius will put their 3-0 MAAC record on the line against Marist.
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)