Jan 6, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: Maryland at Pitt, 7:00 p.m.
I know you may be more invested in some football game that’s being played tonight, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be some intriguing hoops games on. Maryland and Pitt are in similar situations in that they are both trying to make a name for themselves in an ACC that is fairly wide open. Duke is sputtering, UNC is brutally inconsistent and Syracuse nearly got picked off by Miami in their own building.
Both the Panthers and the Terrapins are fairly unknown quantities at this point in the season. Maryland has struggled, but they’re just getting Seth Allen back into the fold. Pitt’s looked good, but they haven’t really played anyone that’s all that good. If you enjoy watching really good college basketball players, you’ll want to see Dez Wells and Lamar Patterson.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE NIGHT: Iona at Quinnipiac, 7:00 p.m.
An intriguing battle in the MAAC tonight. Iona is one of the nation’s most uptempo, high-scoring teams. But Quinnipiac is talented in their own right and will be able to pound the Gaels on the glass.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
1) A SWAC battle will be on ESPNU at 9:00 p.m. tonight as Southern takes on Texas Southern.
2) West Virginia will be playing a visit to Texas Tech tonight as Big 12 play is kicking into swing.
3) North Florida is sitting at 3-0 in the Atlantic Sun, but they will be hitting the road and visiting Northern Kentucky tonight.
4) Staying in the Atlantic Sun, Mercer lost to the Ospreys last week. They’ll be looking to get back into a rhythm tonight against East Tennessee State.
5) Canisius will put their 3-0 MAAC record on the line against Marist.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 40
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)