Jan 6, 2014, 2:53 PM EST
GAME OF THE NIGHT: Maryland at Pitt, 7:00 p.m.
I know you may be more invested in some football game that’s being played tonight, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be some intriguing hoops games on. Maryland and Pitt are in similar situations in that they are both trying to make a name for themselves in an ACC that is fairly wide open. Duke is sputtering, UNC is brutally inconsistent and Syracuse nearly got picked off by Miami in their own building.
Both the Panthers and the Terrapins are fairly unknown quantities at this point in the season. Maryland has struggled, but they’re just getting Seth Allen back into the fold. Pitt’s looked good, but they haven’t really played anyone that’s all that good. If you enjoy watching really good college basketball players, you’ll want to see Dez Wells and Lamar Patterson.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE NIGHT: Iona at Quinnipiac, 7:00 p.m.
An intriguing battle in the MAAC tonight. Iona is one of the nation’s most uptempo, high-scoring teams. But Quinnipiac is talented in their own right and will be able to pound the Gaels on the glass.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
1) A SWAC battle will be on ESPNU at 9:00 p.m. tonight as Southern takes on Texas Southern.
2) West Virginia will be playing a visit to Texas Tech tonight as Big 12 play is kicking into swing.
3) North Florida is sitting at 3-0 in the Atlantic Sun, but they will be hitting the road and visiting Northern Kentucky tonight.
4) Staying in the Atlantic Sun, Mercer lost to the Ospreys last week. They’ll be looking to get back into a rhythm tonight against East Tennessee State.
5) Canisius will put their 3-0 MAAC record on the line against Marist.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 0
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 1
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)