Jan 6, 2014, 2:53 PM EST
GAME OF THE NIGHT: Maryland at Pitt, 7:00 p.m.
I know you may be more invested in some football game that’s being played tonight, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be some intriguing hoops games on. Maryland and Pitt are in similar situations in that they are both trying to make a name for themselves in an ACC that is fairly wide open. Duke is sputtering, UNC is brutally inconsistent and Syracuse nearly got picked off by Miami in their own building.
Both the Panthers and the Terrapins are fairly unknown quantities at this point in the season. Maryland has struggled, but they’re just getting Seth Allen back into the fold. Pitt’s looked good, but they haven’t really played anyone that’s all that good. If you enjoy watching really good college basketball players, you’ll want to see Dez Wells and Lamar Patterson.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE NIGHT: Iona at Quinnipiac, 7:00 p.m.
An intriguing battle in the MAAC tonight. Iona is one of the nation’s most uptempo, high-scoring teams. But Quinnipiac is talented in their own right and will be able to pound the Gaels on the glass.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
1) A SWAC battle will be on ESPNU at 9:00 p.m. tonight as Southern takes on Texas Southern.
2) West Virginia will be playing a visit to Texas Tech tonight as Big 12 play is kicking into swing.
3) North Florida is sitting at 3-0 in the Atlantic Sun, but they will be hitting the road and visiting Northern Kentucky tonight.
4) Staying in the Atlantic Sun, Mercer lost to the Ospreys last week. They’ll be looking to get back into a rhythm tonight against East Tennessee State.
5) Canisius will put their 3-0 MAAC record on the line against Marist.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (5)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)