Jan 6, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Duke commit Tyus Jones has been labeled by some recruiting analysts as the best pure point guard that high school basketball has seen in quite some time. Jones often gets compared to floor generals like CP3, but his athleticism is sometimes overlooked because of his tremendous basketball IQ and natural feel for the game.
Just watch this dunk from Saturday’s Timberwolves Shootout at the Target Center and you won’t overlook Jones’ athleticism for much longer.
The 6-foot-1 native of Apple Valley, Minnesota is regarded as Rivals’ No. 5 prospect in the 2014 class and Jones has helped lead Apple Valley High School to an 11-1 start on the season following Saturday’s 72-59 win over Blue Valley (KS.). Jones finished with a game-high 26 points.
And, sidenote: What’s up with the announcer going with, “Good morning, Minneapolis!” in an ode to Robin Williams in “Good Morning, Vietnam”? Just a little over-the-top, if you ask me.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)