Jan 7, 2014, 9:53 PM EST
Baylor began Tuesday night’s Big 12 showdown with Iowa State on a 9-2 run. Luckily for the Bears four of the players in white were off to a slow start. Unfortunately, the only Cyclone who had it going offensively was DeAndre Kane, and the senior transfer put in an All American caliber performance as No. 9 Iowa State knocked off No. 9 Baylor, 87-72, on Tuesday night inside Hilton Coliseum.
DeAndre Kane went for 17 in the first half, and in the second half his scoring continued as did his rebounds, his assists in his steals; stuffing the stat sheet in a 30-point, nine-assist, eight-rebound, five-steal effort.
Baylor got out to an early lead, but did fully take advantage of Iowa State’s slow start. The Bears also took a 40-31 edge on the boards, led by its tall frontline of Cory Jefferson (12 rebounds) and Isaiah Austin (10 rebounds), but Baylor never established them inside, using their height advantage as they combined for 17 points. Melvin Ejim went for 18 by himself.
The Bears 3-point shooting kept them in the game, only trailing by two at half.
But what was Baylor’s biggest problem on Tuesday night was turnovers, committing 19 of them — 10 in the first half, nine in the second. It was the second-highest team total of the season, behind 20 miscues in Baylor’s loss to Syracuse in the Maui Invitational title game; the Bears only other loss this season.
The 19 turnovers, coupled with poor transition defense that struggled to get back, gave Iowa State some easy transition buckets in the second, led by Kane, its floor general.
The rough showing snaps Baylor’s six-game winning streak, which includes a neutral floor win over Kansas.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)