Jan 7, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: West Virginia 89. Texas Tech 86, OT
While the rest of the nation was busy watching the thrilling National Championship game between Florida State and Auburn on the gridiron, the Mountaineers came up with a road overtime win in Big 12 play against Texas Tech.
West Virginia trailed by three with 15 seconds left in regulation before Terry Henderson knocked home the game-tying three-pointer to send the game to overtime.
The Mountaineers relied on guards Juwan Staten and Eron Harris to make crucial plays down the stretch in overtime in a wacky game that featured multiple official replays and some costly turnovers by both teams in the final minute of overtime. Staten paced West Virginia with 25 points in 44 minutes of play.
1) Pitt 79, Maryland 59
Pitt didn’t play a particularly strong non-conference schedule, but they have back-to-back, double-digit wins to open play in the ACC and their balanced team effort continues to carry them in each game.
You can read more on the Maryland win and my take on Pitt and their rock-solid identity here.
2) Quinnipiac 86, Iona 74
The Bobcats jumped out to a 22-point halftime lead thanks to a 49-point first-half outburst. Quinnipiac never looked back as they improved to 3-1 in the MAAC with their win over Iona (6-7, 3-1), who was previously unbeaten in conference play.
3) Northern Kentucky 70, North Florida 64
The Norse moved to 3-1 in Atlantic Sun play despite their two leading scorers — guards Jordan Jackson and Tyler White — combining to shoot 8-for-26 from the field. North Florida entered the contest 3-0 in the Atlantic Sun, but only shot 37 percent from the field in the loss.
1) A week after destroying Champion Baptist College, Southern earned a legitimate road win over SWAC conference foe Texas Southern despite 24 points and eight rebounds from center Aaric Murray. Calvin Godfrey paced Southern with 27 points and 10 rebounds in the 79-71 win.
2) Playing with a cut above his left eye that was glued shut and covered with a band-aid, Jackson State guard Julysses Nobles (All-Name Team alert) knocked in a buzzer-beating three-pointer to give Jackson State the 70-68 SWAC win over Alabama State. Nobles, who injured the eye in Saturday’s loss to Alabama A&M and left the game to get stitches, finished with 20 points during Monday night’s win.
3) Jacksonville earned its first road win of the season with an 88-85 Atlantic Sun win over Lipscomb. Jarvis Haywood paced the Dolphins with 23 points in the win, which moves Jacksonville to 2-2 in the Atlantic Sun.
1) The Citadel held an eight-point halftime lead but allowed 48 second-half points in a Southern Conference loss to Chattanooga. Behind a 30-point, 14-rebound effort from forward Z. Mason, Chattanooga moved to 2-0 in the Southern.
2) Maryland’s two leading scorers, Dez Wells and Jake Layman, were held to only a combined total of eight points in 57 minutes of play in the Terrapins’ 79-59 loss at Pittsburgh.
3) Canisius struggled to 38 percent shooting and couldn’t find consistent scoring behind Billy Baron (27 points) in a 65-62 loss to Marist in the MAAC. Marist has won five straight games since starting the season 0-9.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)