Jan 8, 2014, 12:53 AM EDT
Creighton defeated DePaul 81-62 on the road on Tuesday night. But it may have come at a cost.
Doug McDermott scored a team-high 19 points with five rebounds and four assists.In the first half he injured his left shoulder, though he continued to play. He will have an MRI where the team believes it will be diagnosed as a sprain, according to Brian Hamilton of Sports Illustrated.
Grant Gibbs was also injured on Tuesday. He played just 12 minutes before heading to the locker room with a knee injury. He did not return. Hamilton reported the senior exited the locker room following the game on crutches, and not putting any weight on his right knee.
“We’ll see the doctor [Wednesday],” Creighton head coach Greg McDermott told SI regarding Gibbs’ injury. “It’s more serious than Doug, but until you get an MRI to look at it, it’s really hard to say. Obviously worst-case scenario, he tore an ACL. Best-case, it’ll be just a minor deal, and in a few weeks we’ll have him back.”
Clearly these are the two guys the Bluejays can’t afford to have sidelined for any amount of time. Gibbs is averaging 6.2 points, 3.4 rebounds and a team-high 4.4 assists. McDermott, the All American and player of the year candidate is the team’s leading scorer and rebounder at 24.7 points and 7.5 boards per game.
Creighton travels back to Omaha where the Bluejays have five days off before hosting Xavier on Sunday afternoon.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)