Jan 8, 2014, 12:53 AM EST
Creighton defeated DePaul 81-62 on the road on Tuesday night. But it may have come at a cost.
Doug McDermott scored a team-high 19 points with five rebounds and four assists.In the first half he injured his left shoulder, though he continued to play. He will have an MRI where the team believes it will be diagnosed as a sprain, according to Brian Hamilton of Sports Illustrated.
Grant Gibbs was also injured on Tuesday. He played just 12 minutes before heading to the locker room with a knee injury. He did not return. Hamilton reported the senior exited the locker room following the game on crutches, and not putting any weight on his right knee.
“We’ll see the doctor [Wednesday],” Creighton head coach Greg McDermott told SI regarding Gibbs’ injury. “It’s more serious than Doug, but until you get an MRI to look at it, it’s really hard to say. Obviously worst-case scenario, he tore an ACL. Best-case, it’ll be just a minor deal, and in a few weeks we’ll have him back.”
Clearly these are the two guys the Bluejays can’t afford to have sidelined for any amount of time. Gibbs is averaging 6.2 points, 3.4 rebounds and a team-high 4.4 assists. McDermott, the All American and player of the year candidate is the team’s leading scorer and rebounder at 24.7 points and 7.5 boards per game.
Creighton travels back to Omaha where the Bluejays have five days off before hosting Xavier on Sunday afternoon.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)