Jan 8, 2014, 12:53 AM EDT
Creighton defeated DePaul 81-62 on the road on Tuesday night. But it may have come at a cost.
Doug McDermott scored a team-high 19 points with five rebounds and four assists.In the first half he injured his left shoulder, though he continued to play. He will have an MRI where the team believes it will be diagnosed as a sprain, according to Brian Hamilton of Sports Illustrated.
Grant Gibbs was also injured on Tuesday. He played just 12 minutes before heading to the locker room with a knee injury. He did not return. Hamilton reported the senior exited the locker room following the game on crutches, and not putting any weight on his right knee.
“We’ll see the doctor [Wednesday],” Creighton head coach Greg McDermott told SI regarding Gibbs’ injury. “It’s more serious than Doug, but until you get an MRI to look at it, it’s really hard to say. Obviously worst-case scenario, he tore an ACL. Best-case, it’ll be just a minor deal, and in a few weeks we’ll have him back.”
Clearly these are the two guys the Bluejays can’t afford to have sidelined for any amount of time. Gibbs is averaging 6.2 points, 3.4 rebounds and a team-high 4.4 assists. McDermott, the All American and player of the year candidate is the team’s leading scorer and rebounder at 24.7 points and 7.5 boards per game.
Creighton travels back to Omaha where the Bluejays have five days off before hosting Xavier on Sunday afternoon.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)