Jan 8, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 5 Michigan State 72, No. 5 Ohio State 68 OT
The Spartans led by as many as 17 in the second half, but the Buckeyes ended regulation on a 20-3 run. In overtime Kenny Kaminski and Adreian Payne hit back-to-back Michigan State threes to go up four. With under two minutes to play, Sam Thompson tied the score with a triple of his own. Keith Appling responded with a top of the key three to give Sparty a 69-66 lead.
No. 9 Iowa State 87, No. 7 Baylor 72: DeAndre Kane is all you need to know from this one. Iowa State remains unbeaten.
No. 16 Duke 79, Georgia Tech 57: The Blue Devils gave up 30 points in the paint and held a one-point halftime lead, but behind Rodney Hood’s 15 second half points Duke pulled away to avoid a potential upset bid after a loss to Notre Dame.
Tennessee 68, LSU 50: The Volunteers went in and steamrolled the LSU Tigers.
DeAndre Kane, Iowa State: Game-high 30 points, nine assists, eight rebounds and five steals. He was the offense for much of the first half.
Jordair Jett, Saint Louis: The guard had 31 points and made a big defensive play late in the game to stop Xavier Munford from getting a shot off that could have given Rhode Island a last-second win.
Jarnell Stokes, Tennessee: In a big win over LSU, Stokes went for 15 points and 15 rebounds.
LaQuinton Ross, Ohio State: The Buckeyes need him to score but he went only 1-for-7 for five points.
Baylor: Committed 19 turnovers, and could not slow down Kane.
Notre Dame: Been a rough couple of weeks for the Fighting Irish. They lost Jerian Grant. They knocked off Duke, which they follow up with a home loss to North Carolina State.
REST OF THE TOP 25
- No. 2 Syracuse 72, Virginia Tech 52
- No. 25 Kansas State 65, TCU 47
- Boston University 55, Navy 32
- Saint Louis 59, Rhode Island 58
- Cincinnati 61, Houston 60
- Creighton 81, DePaul 62
- Alabama 68, Vanderbilt 63
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)