Jan 8, 2014, 12:37 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 5 Michigan State 72, No. 5 Ohio State 68 OT
The Spartans led by as many as 17 in the second half, but the Buckeyes ended regulation on a 20-3 run. In overtime Kenny Kaminski and Adreian Payne hit back-to-back Michigan State threes to go up four. With under two minutes to play, Sam Thompson tied the score with a triple of his own. Keith Appling responded with a top of the key three to give Sparty a 69-66 lead.
No. 9 Iowa State 87, No. 7 Baylor 72: DeAndre Kane is all you need to know from this one. Iowa State remains unbeaten.
No. 16 Duke 79, Georgia Tech 57: The Blue Devils gave up 30 points in the paint and held a one-point halftime lead, but behind Rodney Hood’s 15 second half points Duke pulled away to avoid a potential upset bid after a loss to Notre Dame.
Tennessee 68, LSU 50: The Volunteers went in and steamrolled the LSU Tigers.
DeAndre Kane, Iowa State: Game-high 30 points, nine assists, eight rebounds and five steals. He was the offense for much of the first half.
Jordair Jett, Saint Louis: The guard had 31 points and made a big defensive play late in the game to stop Xavier Munford from getting a shot off that could have given Rhode Island a last-second win.
Jarnell Stokes, Tennessee: In a big win over LSU, Stokes went for 15 points and 15 rebounds.
LaQuinton Ross, Ohio State: The Buckeyes need him to score but he went only 1-for-7 for five points.
Baylor: Committed 19 turnovers, and could not slow down Kane.
Notre Dame: Been a rough couple of weeks for the Fighting Irish. They lost Jerian Grant. They knocked off Duke, which they follow up with a home loss to North Carolina State.
REST OF THE TOP 25
- No. 2 Syracuse 72, Virginia Tech 52
- No. 25 Kansas State 65, TCU 47
- Boston University 55, Navy 32
- Saint Louis 59, Rhode Island 58
- Cincinnati 61, Houston 60
- Creighton 81, DePaul 62
- Alabama 68, Vanderbilt 63
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)