Jan 8, 2014, 1:07 AM EST
Remember all that goodwill that Notre Dame curried when they were able to knock off then-No. 7 Duke in South Bend?
Remember how we were all like, ‘Hey, maybe we need to take the Irish seriously without Jerian Grant’?
Well, it may still end up being true, but Tuesday night’s performance isn’t promising.
The Irish lost to the Wolfpack, 77-70, on a night where they held T.J. Warren to 6-for-17 shooting and they got a combined 50 points from Garrick Sherman, Pat Connaughton and Eric Atkins.
That’s not a good sign for Mike Brey’s club.
It is good for Mark Gottfried and the Wolfpack, however. While Notre Dame was busy beating the Blue Devils on Saturday, N.C. State was in the midst of blowing a 15 point lead and losing by 12 to Pitt. At home. The Wolfpack have certainly had better days.
What’s becoming clear is that the jumbled mess in the middle of the ACC isn’t going to be easy to figure out. Notre Dame, Pitt, N.C. State, Virginia, Florida State. I’m not sure anyone knows how that will shake out, and what’s worse is that it looks like North Carolina, and maybe even Duke, could end up finding their way into that group if the Tobacco Road rivals don’t find a way to right the ship.
Remember when people were talking about the ACC being the best conference of all-time?
Seems pretty silly now, doesn’t it?
- Temple embarrasses No. 10 Kansas by 25 points 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 2
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)