Jan 8, 2014, 1:07 AM EDT
Remember all that goodwill that Notre Dame curried when they were able to knock off then-No. 7 Duke in South Bend?
Remember how we were all like, ‘Hey, maybe we need to take the Irish seriously without Jerian Grant’?
Well, it may still end up being true, but Tuesday night’s performance isn’t promising.
The Irish lost to the Wolfpack, 77-70, on a night where they held T.J. Warren to 6-for-17 shooting and they got a combined 50 points from Garrick Sherman, Pat Connaughton and Eric Atkins.
That’s not a good sign for Mike Brey’s club.
It is good for Mark Gottfried and the Wolfpack, however. While Notre Dame was busy beating the Blue Devils on Saturday, N.C. State was in the midst of blowing a 15 point lead and losing by 12 to Pitt. At home. The Wolfpack have certainly had better days.
What’s becoming clear is that the jumbled mess in the middle of the ACC isn’t going to be easy to figure out. Notre Dame, Pitt, N.C. State, Virginia, Florida State. I’m not sure anyone knows how that will shake out, and what’s worse is that it looks like North Carolina, and maybe even Duke, could end up finding their way into that group if the Tobacco Road rivals don’t find a way to right the ship.
Remember when people were talking about the ACC being the best conference of all-time?
Seems pretty silly now, doesn’t it?
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)