Jan 8, 2014, 1:07 AM EDT
Remember all that goodwill that Notre Dame curried when they were able to knock off then-No. 7 Duke in South Bend?
Remember how we were all like, ‘Hey, maybe we need to take the Irish seriously without Jerian Grant’?
Well, it may still end up being true, but Tuesday night’s performance isn’t promising.
The Irish lost to the Wolfpack, 77-70, on a night where they held T.J. Warren to 6-for-17 shooting and they got a combined 50 points from Garrick Sherman, Pat Connaughton and Eric Atkins.
That’s not a good sign for Mike Brey’s club.
It is good for Mark Gottfried and the Wolfpack, however. While Notre Dame was busy beating the Blue Devils on Saturday, N.C. State was in the midst of blowing a 15 point lead and losing by 12 to Pitt. At home. The Wolfpack have certainly had better days.
What’s becoming clear is that the jumbled mess in the middle of the ACC isn’t going to be easy to figure out. Notre Dame, Pitt, N.C. State, Virginia, Florida State. I’m not sure anyone knows how that will shake out, and what’s worse is that it looks like North Carolina, and maybe even Duke, could end up finding their way into that group if the Tobacco Road rivals don’t find a way to right the ship.
Remember when people were talking about the ACC being the best conference of all-time?
Seems pretty silly now, doesn’t it?
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)