Jan 8, 2014, 1:07 AM EDT
Remember all that goodwill that Notre Dame curried when they were able to knock off then-No. 7 Duke in South Bend?
Remember how we were all like, ‘Hey, maybe we need to take the Irish seriously without Jerian Grant’?
Well, it may still end up being true, but Tuesday night’s performance isn’t promising.
The Irish lost to the Wolfpack, 77-70, on a night where they held T.J. Warren to 6-for-17 shooting and they got a combined 50 points from Garrick Sherman, Pat Connaughton and Eric Atkins.
That’s not a good sign for Mike Brey’s club.
It is good for Mark Gottfried and the Wolfpack, however. While Notre Dame was busy beating the Blue Devils on Saturday, N.C. State was in the midst of blowing a 15 point lead and losing by 12 to Pitt. At home. The Wolfpack have certainly had better days.
What’s becoming clear is that the jumbled mess in the middle of the ACC isn’t going to be easy to figure out. Notre Dame, Pitt, N.C. State, Virginia, Florida State. I’m not sure anyone knows how that will shake out, and what’s worse is that it looks like North Carolina, and maybe even Duke, could end up finding their way into that group if the Tobacco Road rivals don’t find a way to right the ship.
Remember when people were talking about the ACC being the best conference of all-time?
Seems pretty silly now, doesn’t it?
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)