Jan 8, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Anyone that read ‘Play Their Hearts Out’, George Dohrmann’s terrific look into the world of big-time AAU basketball, was rooting for Portland State’s Aaron Moore.
The senior forward had been through a lot during his young life, and it looked like he had bullied his way through it all. In his second season with the Vikings, he was averaging 11.8 points and 5.8 boards, which was actually down from the 13.2 points and 7.1 boards he averaged as a freshman.
But it has all reportedly come to an end.
Moore didn’t play in a loss to Weber State on Saturday, and according to PSU’s head coach Tyler Geving, it’s because Moore is no longer a member of the basketball program.
“You’ve got to just, at some point, draw your foot in the sand,” Geving told the Portland Tribune. “We’re going to move forward, and I still believe we’re going to be better for it, because Saturday night we played hard.”
“If you knew his background and what he’s about and what he’s gone through and where he is right now, boy, he’s made tremendous strides.” Geving added. “Unfortunately, he hasn’t made enough strides in certain areas, and that’s what’s been holding him back and that’s why I made the decision I decided to make. Because it’s going to be best for our team. And, at the end of the day, really, I think it’s what’s going to be best for our team. And really, it’s going to be what’s best for him.”
Moore has not been dismissed from school and Geving told the paper he will try to help Moore earn his degree.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)