Jan 8, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Anyone that read ‘Play Their Hearts Out’, George Dohrmann’s terrific look into the world of big-time AAU basketball, was rooting for Portland State’s Aaron Moore.
The senior forward had been through a lot during his young life, and it looked like he had bullied his way through it all. In his second season with the Vikings, he was averaging 11.8 points and 5.8 boards, which was actually down from the 13.2 points and 7.1 boards he averaged as a freshman.
But it has all reportedly come to an end.
Moore didn’t play in a loss to Weber State on Saturday, and according to PSU’s head coach Tyler Geving, it’s because Moore is no longer a member of the basketball program.
“You’ve got to just, at some point, draw your foot in the sand,” Geving told the Portland Tribune. “We’re going to move forward, and I still believe we’re going to be better for it, because Saturday night we played hard.”
“If you knew his background and what he’s about and what he’s gone through and where he is right now, boy, he’s made tremendous strides.” Geving added. “Unfortunately, he hasn’t made enough strides in certain areas, and that’s what’s been holding him back and that’s why I made the decision I decided to make. Because it’s going to be best for our team. And, at the end of the day, really, I think it’s what’s going to be best for our team. And really, it’s going to be what’s best for him.”
Moore has not been dismissed from school and Geving told the paper he will try to help Moore earn his degree.
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Key assistant coaching hires 0
- 2014-15 America East Preview: Does Stony Brook finally make the Tournament? 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)