Jan 8, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
Anyone that read ‘Play Their Hearts Out’, George Dohrmann’s terrific look into the world of big-time AAU basketball, was rooting for Portland State’s Aaron Moore.
The senior forward had been through a lot during his young life, and it looked like he had bullied his way through it all. In his second season with the Vikings, he was averaging 11.8 points and 5.8 boards, which was actually down from the 13.2 points and 7.1 boards he averaged as a freshman.
But it has all reportedly come to an end.
Moore didn’t play in a loss to Weber State on Saturday, and according to PSU’s head coach Tyler Geving, it’s because Moore is no longer a member of the basketball program.
“You’ve got to just, at some point, draw your foot in the sand,” Geving told the Portland Tribune. “We’re going to move forward, and I still believe we’re going to be better for it, because Saturday night we played hard.”
“If you knew his background and what he’s about and what he’s gone through and where he is right now, boy, he’s made tremendous strides.” Geving added. “Unfortunately, he hasn’t made enough strides in certain areas, and that’s what’s been holding him back and that’s why I made the decision I decided to make. Because it’s going to be best for our team. And, at the end of the day, really, I think it’s what’s going to be best for our team. And really, it’s going to be what’s best for him.”
Moore has not been dismissed from school and Geving told the paper he will try to help Moore earn his degree.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)