Jan 9, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
One of the freshmen who has been on the receiving end of a great deal of praise this season is Arizona forward Aaron Gordon, who’s currently averaging 12.4 points and 8.0 rebounds per game for the nation’s top-ranked team. The Wildcats visit UCLA on Thursday night in one of the day’s best games, with Arizona looking to reverse its fortunes against a program that won all three meetings last season.
Clearly Gordon’s going to be an important participant in the game, and the good thing about the freshman for Arizona fans is that the San Jose native has yet to reach his full potential. In a story written by Jason King of Bleacher Report, Gordon’s path to this point is discussed as are the things that motivate him the most: being a good teammate and winning.
“It’s hard to find that balance of being a great teammate and a great scorer,” Gordon said. “There are times when I have the ball and I’m thinking, ‘I can get by my man. I can get in the lane. I can make something happen.’
“Sometimes I probably should do it. It would benefit our team. But there also may be an open man on the wing I can swing it to for a basket that would give him confidence. In the long run, that can benefit our team more.”
You can read the full profile here.
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 0
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 0
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 2
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)