Jan 9, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
It was just three weeks ago that Billy Donovan announced that center Damontre Harris was no longer a member of the Florida basketball team.
The South Carolina transfer had been suspended earlier this season and it wasn’t surprising to see him eventually get the boot from Donovan.
What was surprising, however, was when Donovan announced on Wednesday night that Harris will re-enroll at Florida for the spring semester to try and work his way back onto the team. What does he have to do to make that happen? Well, Donovan wasn’t so clear. The immediate reaction from the cynic in me was that this was a clear response to Donovan’s concerns about Chris Walker’s pending NCAA eligibility, but that doesn’t appear to be the case either. Donovan also told reporters that Harris would not be playing in any games this season.
If he’s going to make a return to the court, it will be in November.
“We traded some texts over the Christmas break and he realized that he had made a big mistake,” Donovan told Kevin Brockway of the Gainesville Sun. “He wants to work his way back on the team. It’s going to be similar to Scottie Wilbekin’s situation in that he has to meet some terms and conditions. Can he make it? I don’t know, but if he does it will be a great comeback story.”
Harris was arrested last February during his redshirt season. If he doesn’t play this year, that means that he will have spent two years as a Gator without sniffing the O-Dome court for as much as a second.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 1
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)