Jan 9, 2014, 7:03 PM EST
Just when it seemed that No. 10 Florida was getting to full strength, point guard Scottie Wilbekin went down in the second half of their win over South Carolina on Wednesday night with a sprained right ankle. Wilbekin, who missed the first five games of the season due to a suspension, accounted for 17 points and three assists before going down in the second half of the 74-58 victory.
Wilbekin injured the ankle in Florida’s one-point loss at UConn on December 2, and since that game the Gators have won six games in a row.
And according to Chris Harry of Gatorzone.com Wilbekin isn’t the only player dealing with a health issue, as senior forward Casey Prather was held out of practice after waking up with swelling in his right knee. According to the report Prather will undergo tests on the knee Thursday evening, and both players are questionable for Florida’s game at Arkansas on Saturday.
Both players are key contributors for the Gators, with Prather being one of the best players in the SEC to this point in the season. After averaging just 6.2 points and 3.7 rebounds per game as a junior Prather’s up to 17.0 points and 5.4 rebounds per contest in 2013-14. He’s also leading the SEC in field goal percentage (62.4%), and Prather has surpassed the 20-point mark four times this season.
Obviously these would be big personnel losses if Prather and Wilbekin are unable to go on Saturday afternoon, especially when considering how tough Arkansas can be in Fayetteville.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)