Jan 9, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
The college hoops season has been centered around talk of freshmen.
Andrew Wiggins, Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon, Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid, Tyler Ennis.
The list goes on, and while all six of those guys have been, at times, both impressive and aggravating, it goes without saying that they are far from the only noteworthy freshmen in the country.
One guy that hasn’t gotten nearly enough publicity is Kansas State shooting guard Marcus Foster. A three-star recruit coming out of high school, Foster has exploded on the Big 12 scene, averaging a team-high 14.1 points while helping carry the Wildcats from the doldrums of a loss to Northern Colorado to kick off the season to the top 25 as of today.
Today, Kellis Robinett of the Wichita Eagle published a feature on Foster that gets into how the Wildcats were able to land him. There are all kinds of interesting tidbits in the story, including how Foster went from being a top 100 recruit to not mentioned at all, but my favorite part was this:
As a senior, Foster, now a 6-foot-2, 195-pound shooting guard, served as the team’s starting center. And he held his own against top competition, leading Hirschi back to the state quarterfinals and earning Texas 3A player of the year honors.
Yes, the shooting guard that is currently the sparkplug for Kansas State’s return to relevance under Bruce Weber played center on his high school basketball team.
Kudos to Kansas State for sticking with him while he dropped in the national rankings. They’re reaping the benefits right now.
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (8)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (6)