Jan 9, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
Ironically enough, the only game between ranked teams on Wednesday night ended being the worst game of the night for the viewer.
No. 4 Wisconsin jumped out to a 33-10 lead on No. 23 Illinois in the first 11 minutes, coasting to a 95-70 win in which the Badgers were never once challenged.
With the win, Wisconsin improves to 16-0 on the season, the best start in school history. More impressive? They’ve now won a game in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 100s. They can beat you playing any style you want to play. How many teams can say that?
But we knew that. Tonight may have been more telling about Illinois. The Illini got worked over by Wisconsin, but that will happen from time-to-time in the Kohl Center. The reason this was concerning is how the Badgers did it. The strength of the Illini is their defense, and it was shredded by the Badgers. They shot 56.1% from the floor and 8-for-19 from three. They committed just four turnovers on the night. Wisconsin not only scored 95 points, they did it on 71 possessions, good for 1.338 PPP.
Wisconsin is good, but Illinois is going to have to come stronger than that if they want to be relevant in the Big Ten.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)