Jan 9, 2014, 12:43 AM EST
Ironically enough, the only game between ranked teams on Wednesday night ended being the worst game of the night for the viewer.
No. 4 Wisconsin jumped out to a 33-10 lead on No. 23 Illinois in the first 11 minutes, coasting to a 95-70 win in which the Badgers were never once challenged.
With the win, Wisconsin improves to 16-0 on the season, the best start in school history. More impressive? They’ve now won a game in the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 100s. They can beat you playing any style you want to play. How many teams can say that?
But we knew that. Tonight may have been more telling about Illinois. The Illini got worked over by Wisconsin, but that will happen from time-to-time in the Kohl Center. The reason this was concerning is how the Badgers did it. The strength of the Illini is their defense, and it was shredded by the Badgers. They shot 56.1% from the floor and 8-for-19 from three. They committed just four turnovers on the night. Wisconsin not only scored 95 points, they did it on 71 possessions, good for 1.338 PPP.
Wisconsin is good, but Illinois is going to have to come stronger than that if they want to be relevant in the Big Ten.
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)