Jan 9, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Forget freshmen, transfers are the new prized recruits in college basketball (Sports Illustrated)
While freshmen have received much of the attention to this point in the season, transfers have proven to be just as influential to some programs. Players such as Arizona’s T.J. McConnell, George Washington’s Maurice Creek and Iowa State’s DeAndre Kane have all played pivotal roles in the success of their new teams.
UCLA-Arizona has been west coast’s top college basketball rivalry (Long Beach Press-Telegram)
On Thursday night the top-ranked Wildcats and Bruins renew acquaintances at Pauley Pavilion, with Arizona looking to reverse its fortunes after losing to UCLA three times last season. And this series is one with a history of exciting match-ups, with this story including the ten best games in the series according to the author.
College basketball arena poll: All 12 individual ballots (Athlon Sports)
The folks over at Athlon Sports compiled a list of the top 10 arenas in college basketball with some help from 12 college basketball experts, including CBT’s own Rob Dauster. Not only did Athlon reveal the list, but it also revealed the ballots of each of the 12 voters.
JV: A year in the college basketball wilderness (Dime Magazine)
As discussed in yesterday’s Break, there aren’t a high number of junior varsity teams at the college level. But they still exist, and in this story the author gives a first-hand account of his experience playing JV basketball at a small college.
Titus’ Top 12 NCAA power rankings (Grantland)
Former Ohio State basketball player Mark Titus compiles his weekly power rankings, taking a look at some of the nation’s best teams. It’s an interesting read, especially the portion in which he declares Iowa State to be a team of destiny.
Duke’s Jabari Parker: “I’m human too” (Greensboro News & Record)
In some instances this season the nation’s best freshman have been built up to near legendary status, with every game being a referendum on their skill level and chances of long-term success. After Andrew Wiggins bore the brunt of that pressure early, Duke freshman Jabari Parker’s been the latest subject thanks to his recent struggles. He’ll be OK.
Mother, coach reveal former Auburn basketball player faked kidnapping to escape pressures (ABC News)
In one of the more bizarre stories heard regarding college basketball players dealing with the pressure that comes with playing a sport and having to succeed in school, former Auburn basketball player Sierra Sims faked her kidnapping as a college freshman back in 2008. What resulted was a 24-hour search for Sims, who turned to binge drinking before running away and saying that she was kidnapped when found.
Kansas plans $17.5 million apartment complex that would house basketball players (Kansas City Star)
The business of major college athletics is alive and well, with programs doing whatever possible to put everything their athletes need within arm’s reach. At Kansas there are plans for a new apartment complex that would house the men’s and women’s basketball teams, with completion of the project expected for the 2016-17 academic year.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)