Jan 10, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Billy Baron has a knack for the heroics and relishes the big shot.
Tonight against Rider, Baron drilled a three-pointer at the buzzer to give Canisius a 94-91 win over Rider in double overtime. The win pushes the Golden Griffins to 4-1 in the MAAC, and in a four-way tie with Manhattan, Iona, and Quinnipiac.
Earlier this season, against Elon, he did this.
Players of Baron’s ability don’t often come through the MAAC and, while he is only in his second year at Canisius after transferring from Rhode Island, he’s certainly made his presence felt around the league.
Baron dropped in a career-high 38 points tonight, and also pulled town seven rebounds and dished out seven assists.
It was more than just the game-winner. Baron also hit two jumpers in the final two minutes of regulation to force overtime. In the first overtime, with Canisius trailing 76-73, he converted on an old-fashioned three-point play to push the game to a second overtime. Then, of course, he won it with the three at the end.
As Bill Raftery would say: “Onions!”
(H/T Golden Griffin Broadcast Network)
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)