Jan 10, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Billy Baron has a knack for the heroics and relishes the big shot.
Tonight against Rider, Baron drilled a three-pointer at the buzzer to give Canisius a 94-91 win over Rider in double overtime. The win pushes the Golden Griffins to 4-1 in the MAAC, and in a four-way tie with Manhattan, Iona, and Quinnipiac.
Earlier this season, against Elon, he did this.
Players of Baron’s ability don’t often come through the MAAC and, while he is only in his second year at Canisius after transferring from Rhode Island, he’s certainly made his presence felt around the league.
Baron dropped in a career-high 38 points tonight, and also pulled town seven rebounds and dished out seven assists.
It was more than just the game-winner. Baron also hit two jumpers in the final two minutes of regulation to force overtime. In the first overtime, with Canisius trailing 76-73, he converted on an old-fashioned three-point play to push the game to a second overtime. Then, of course, he won it with the three at the end.
As Bill Raftery would say: “Onions!”
(H/T Golden Griffin Broadcast Network)
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)