Jan 10, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Billy Baron has a knack for the heroics and relishes the big shot.
Tonight against Rider, Baron drilled a three-pointer at the buzzer to give Canisius a 94-91 win over Rider in double overtime. The win pushes the Golden Griffins to 4-1 in the MAAC, and in a four-way tie with Manhattan, Iona, and Quinnipiac.
Earlier this season, against Elon, he did this.
Players of Baron’s ability don’t often come through the MAAC and, while he is only in his second year at Canisius after transferring from Rhode Island, he’s certainly made his presence felt around the league.
Baron dropped in a career-high 38 points tonight, and also pulled town seven rebounds and dished out seven assists.
It was more than just the game-winner. Baron also hit two jumpers in the final two minutes of regulation to force overtime. In the first overtime, with Canisius trailing 76-73, he converted on an old-fashioned three-point play to push the game to a second overtime. Then, of course, he won it with the three at the end.
As Bill Raftery would say: “Onions!”
(H/T Golden Griffin Broadcast Network)
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0