Jan 10, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Billy Baron has a knack for the heroics and relishes the big shot.
Tonight against Rider, Baron drilled a three-pointer at the buzzer to give Canisius a 94-91 win over Rider in double overtime. The win pushes the Golden Griffins to 4-1 in the MAAC, and in a four-way tie with Manhattan, Iona, and Quinnipiac.
Earlier this season, against Elon, he did this.
Players of Baron’s ability don’t often come through the MAAC and, while he is only in his second year at Canisius after transferring from Rhode Island, he’s certainly made his presence felt around the league.
Baron dropped in a career-high 38 points tonight, and also pulled town seven rebounds and dished out seven assists.
It was more than just the game-winner. Baron also hit two jumpers in the final two minutes of regulation to force overtime. In the first overtime, with Canisius trailing 76-73, he converted on an old-fashioned three-point play to push the game to a second overtime. Then, of course, he won it with the three at the end.
As Bill Raftery would say: “Onions!”
(H/T Golden Griffin Broadcast Network)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)