Jan 10, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
Auctions tend to turn up some interesting items for people to buy, ranging from your standard items to those that are extremely valuable. So where would a recruiting letter that former North Carolina head coach Dean Smith sent to a young Michael Jordan fall? According to Comcast SportsNet Chicago, the letter’s up for auction after a man found it in a storage locker he’d purchased.
The opening price for the letter, with the auction being handled by the same group that sold a valuable Honus Wagner baseball card for $2.1 million? $5,000. The letter, written by Smith to Jordan back in 1980, reads as follows:
Our staff surely enjoyed visiting with you and your family there at your beautiful home. It was a delightful evening and one which we were able to use to get to know you better. Hopefully you felt more comfortable with us and that you will consider the University of North Carolina for your college education.
If there are any questions which came up following our departure, please tie me a collect call and I will be happy to discuss them with you. Otherwise we may give you a follow-up call before too long just to touch base.
We do think you are a tremendous young man and are impressed not only with your obvious basketball talent but the way you have been a leader at school and done well adacmedically We look forward to following you closely this year and hope to see you frequently in Chapel Hill.
I am writing your parents separately since they were so very hospitable to us. Enjoyed seeing you, Michael, and hope that beginning in September 1981 I can be your coach.
Dean E. Smith
Dated: Aug. 12, 1980
There’s also a photo of the letter in the link provided above, and it looks to be in pretty good shape for something that was written more than three decades ago. It will be interesting to see just how much the letter fetches in the auction, with Jordan’s “flu game” sneakers fetching a record $104,765 last month.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)