Jan 11, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
St. John’s and head coach Steve Lavin have dealt with a lot of trying times in the last couple of seasons, including Lavin’s own battle with prostate cancer, the loss of Lavin’s father, Albert, as well as a number of tragic incidents that involved family members and friends of players on St. John’s.
In this fantastic read from Nate Taylor of The New York Times, we get an insight of how the Red Storm has had to weather so many tragedies together as a team and how it has made them stronger.
Lavin knows communication is vital, and he believes that it is the main reason his team has stuck together and matured through times of sorrow, including his own. In the past two years, family members or friends of four Red Storm players — Sir’Dominic Pointer, Phil Greene, Christian Jones and Rysheed Jordan — have died in shootings or automobile accidents.
It is nice to see that at St. John’s teammates are there rallying for each other and looking out for their own when tragedy strikes. At 9-5, the Red Storm have had an up-and-down start to the season, but they are no doubt a stronger team on and off the floor because of it. St. John’s will have a major test today at home in a Big East contest against No. 8 Villanova.
You can read the full version of Taylor’s story on St. John’s here.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)