Jan 11, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
For all the talk about UMass and VCU this season, might the Atlantic 10 title still run through St. Louis?
It certainly looked like it on Saturday afternoon, as the Billikens went into Dayton and smacked around the Flyers, winning 67-59 in a game that where Jim Crews’ club had a double-digit lead for much of the second half.
Dwayne Evans was fantastic as usual, finishing with 22 points and nine boards on 9-for-11 shooting from the floor. Jordair Jett added 12 points and five assists while Austin McBroom chipped in with 17 off the bench, but as always, the story of this game was on the defensive end of the floor.
Dayton shot 30.6% from the floor. Devin Oliver, Dayton’s second-leading scorer, was 0-for-12 from the field and didn’t score a single points.
You see, there isn’t a team in the country as good as Saint Louis at taking teams out of what they want to do offensively. They don’t bring full-court pressure and they’re not really the kind of a defense that will trap you to death, but they are disciplined, they rotate extremely well and they know how to play to the scouting report.
That’s part of the reason the Billikens are so tough on the road. They will win games even when they don’t play well offensively. That’s why they are a nation’s best 6-0 on the road this season.
Still haven’t sold you on the Billikens yet? How about this: they are now 15-2 on the season with their only losses coming against Wisconsin and Wichita State, two teams that have yet to lose to anyone this season.
St. Louis can play.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 0
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)