Jan 12, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
There were plenty of good games to keep you busy on Saturday. One of the best games you may have missed was a mid-major clash between two teams in the Colonial Athletic Association.
Northeastern guard Demetrius Pollard (19 points, five assists, four rebounds) hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to force overtime. Then in the extra frame, tied the score again with an old-fashion three-point play with 30 seconds to go to force double overtime.
Not to be outdone, sixth-year guard Chris Fouch drilled a deep three from the wing with under 35 seconds left in the second overtime to put the Dragons up six, and ice a 93-86 win. The clutch shot was three of his game-high 31 points.
“I talked to [Fouch] today,” Drexel head coach Bruiser Flint said. “I told him he wasn’t coming down on his shot like he was supposed to. His follow-through was crooked. He missed every shot in the shootaround this morning.
“But then he was back to being himself. And that shows you what kind of kid he is. He got 30 points on 15 shots, and the way he was shooting them, he shot them like, ‘OK, look, these are going in.’”
Drexel was projected as a No. 15 seed in College Basketball Talk Bracketology’s first bracket of the season.
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 3
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)