Jan 12, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
No. 9 Iowa State, days after picking up a big home win against No. 7 Baylor, fell from the ranks of the unbeaten on Saturday afternoon with an 87-82 road loss to Oklahoma.
But bigger problems for the Cyclones is senior guard DeAndre Kane, averaging 16.5 points, 7.3 rebounds and 6.1 assists per game on the year, went down with an ankle injury in the game’s final minute after he drove to the bucket. Iowa State has Sunday off before hosting No. 18 Kansas, which knocked off No. 25 Kansas State on Saturday behind 22 points from Andrew Wiggins, on Monday night inside Hilton Coliseum.
Kane’s status for that game is uncertain, according to Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune.
“It’s hurting really bad,” Kane told Hines. “It’s throbbing. It’ll probably swell up on the plane ride back home. We’ll see how it feels in the next two days.
“I for sure want to play. I’ll do whatever I can to get out get out on the court with my brothers.”
UPDATE: Kane is a gametime decision for Monday night.
Iowa State game notes for Kansas say DeAndre Kane (ankle) will be a gameday decision tomorrow.
— Travis Hines (@TravisHines21) January 12, 2014
Iowa State can’t afford to lose Kane for any sort of time this season, and this ankle sprain comes at the worst possible time for the Cyclones. From Jan. 13-Feb. 3 Iowa State has games against KU, at Texas, vs. K-State, at Kansas, a rematch against OU and against Oklahoma State in Stillwater.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:24 PM EST
Jerian Grant was dominant in the final 12 minutes against Providence.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Once again, the Maui has put together a loaded field.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
There will be some fun basketball games on Monday night.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:19 PM EST
Atson was called by one scout the “Chris Herren of New Haven”.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:41 AM EST
Henton went for 38 against Notre Dame, while West Virginia won the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Look at how far away from the rim he takes off.
Nov 24, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Putting together a top 25 this early is tough to do as we balance expectations with early season performance.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:10 AM EST
No. 1 Kentucky set a new school record, Ohio State’s Shannon Scott broke Aaron Craft’s single-game assist record and more.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:15 AM EST
‘Buckets’ earned his nickname because he gets … buckets.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:49 PM EST
A week that began with a win at No. 7 Florida ended with a commanding victory over Charlotte at the Gildan Charleston Classic.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:57 PM EST
West Virginia has better depth and toughness than they had a season ago, and those improvements paid off in Puerto Rico this weekend.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:55 PM EST
The 5-foot-10 guard has a standing vertical of 38 inches. That’s pretty good.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Kadeem Jack missed the first two games of the season with a thumb injury.
Nov 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
With Cullen Neal already dealing with an ankle injury, Arthur Edwards is the latest Lobo dealing with a health issue.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:34 PM EST
Rakim Lubin was averaging five minutes per contest in UConn’s first three games.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:16 PM EST
House scored 18 points, shooting 7-for-11 from the field, in Texas A&M’s 64-51 win over New Mexico.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:55 PM EST
Yale forward Matt Townsend was named a Rhodes Scholar this weekend, a rare honor only give to 32 American students each year.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
Danuel House made his presence felt immediately for Texas A&M.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:10 PM EST
Oakland forward Tommy McCune had to overcome the loss of his mother after she lost her battle with cancer, but he’s shown flashes of great play early this season as he moves forward.
Nov 23, 2014, 1:10 PM EST
The high school ranks gave us a great dunk this weekend.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)