Jan 12, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
Just like last season the La Salle Explorers got off to a slow start in non-conference play, and with that being the case the hope amongst the La Salle faithful is that this group will be able to duplicate the turnaround that resulted in a run to the Sweet 16. On Sunday afternoon Dr. John Giannini’s team moved to 2-0 in Atlantic 10 play with a 75-56 win at Duquesne, handing the Dukes their first conference defeat.
Tyreek Duren led the way offensively with 23 points and six assists, and forward Steve Zack posted his seventh double-double of the season with 13 points and 11 rebounds. As a team La Salle shot 52.9% from the field and 10-for-22 from beyond the arc, with their shotmaking ability countering their 17 turnovers on the day.
By comparison Duquesne shot 35.8% from the field and 4-for-16 from three, and given how well the Explorers shot the Dukes were ill-equipped to making up that 18-point disadvantage from beyond the arc. Since losing at Miami the Explorers have won three straight games, and with the likes of Duren, Zack and Tyrone Garland (17 points on Sunday) they have the pieces needed to factor into the Atlantic 10 race.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)