Jan 12, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
Just like last season the La Salle Explorers got off to a slow start in non-conference play, and with that being the case the hope amongst the La Salle faithful is that this group will be able to duplicate the turnaround that resulted in a run to the Sweet 16. On Sunday afternoon Dr. John Giannini’s team moved to 2-0 in Atlantic 10 play with a 75-56 win at Duquesne, handing the Dukes their first conference defeat.
Tyreek Duren led the way offensively with 23 points and six assists, and forward Steve Zack posted his seventh double-double of the season with 13 points and 11 rebounds. As a team La Salle shot 52.9% from the field and 10-for-22 from beyond the arc, with their shotmaking ability countering their 17 turnovers on the day.
By comparison Duquesne shot 35.8% from the field and 4-for-16 from three, and given how well the Explorers shot the Dukes were ill-equipped to making up that 18-point disadvantage from beyond the arc. Since losing at Miami the Explorers have won three straight games, and with the likes of Duren, Zack and Tyrone Garland (17 points on Sunday) they have the pieces needed to factor into the Atlantic 10 race.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)