Jan 12, 2014, 10:44 PM EST
First and foremost, congratulations need to go out to Chris Collins.
The new Northwestern head coach picked up his first Big Ten win and his first win over a ranked team on Sunday evening, as Northwestern knocked off No. 23 Illinois in Evanston, 49-43. It wasn’t pretty — nothing that Northwestern does this season will be pretty — but a win is a win is a win.
But I’d hesitate before using this as proof that Collins is going to have success at Northwestern for one reason and one reason only: I just don’t think Illinois is all that good.
I’ve now had a chance to watch them play three times over the course of the last two weeks, and I’m just not buying that this is a team that deserves to be ranked in the top 25. This group is like a poor man’s Ohio State. They’re tough defensively, forcing opponents into difficult shots without fouling and doing a good job of clearing the defensive glass.
But offensively, Illinois is a disaster. Essentially, this is a team that relies on two shot-first, penetrating guards that are inconsistent at best from three. They don’t have a low-post presence, either, which puts even more pressure on their guards to be able to score.
Tracy Abrams and Rayvonte Rice are both talents, but are they talented enough to actually carry this Illinois team to the NCAA tournament? I’m not sure.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)