Jan 13, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
Colorado had its worst fears realized on Monday as ESPN.com’s Jeff Goodman reported that junior guard Spencer Dinwiddie has a torn ACL and will have surgery to repair it on Tuesday. Dinwiddie suffered the injury during Colorado’s loss on Sunday to Washington.
This news obviously means that Dinwiddie is done for the rest of the season and this is a huge loss for No. 21 Colorado, as the Buffaloes were hoping to compete for a Pac-12 title and make a run in the NCAA Tournament.
How big is the loss of the 6-foot-6 Dinwiddie to the Buffaloes? Dinwiddie led the team in minutes, points, assists, steals, free throw percentage and three-point percentage as he averaged 14.7 points, 3.1 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.5 steals per game in 17 games this season.
Colorado was off to a 14-3 start with Dinwiddie, who was shooting tremendous percentages from every area of the floor — 46 percent field goal, 85 percent free throw and 41 percent three-point percentage — during his junior season.
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 0
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 5
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)