Jan 13, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The biggest news of the college hoops weekend had to do with injuries.
Casey Prather of Florida missed Saturday’s game with Arkansas. Colorado’s Spencer Dinwiddie injured his knee on Sunday night against Washington. And, of course, there was Iowa State’s all-american candidate Deandre Kane getting carried off the court after rolling his left ankle at the end of the Cyclone’s loss to Oklahoma.
Iowa State takes on Kansas tonight, and according to head coach Fred Hoiberg, Kane will very much be a game-time decision.
“I’ve been messaging with him this morning and he will be in soon for treatment,” he told reporters on a Big 12 conference call on Monday morning. “He wakes up sore, and that’s normal. We’ll see. The big thing is, seeing if he can run, and more importantly, seeing if he can cut. We’ll take a cautious approach.”
Kane didn’t practice on Sunday, and the biggest concern that the Iowa State staff has in regards to Kane’s ankle is how effective he’ll be. According to Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com, there’s a “good chance” that Kane suits up, but that doesn’t mean that he’ll be the same guy that went for 30 points, nine assists, eight boards and five steals against Baylor.
If Kane is ineffective or doesn’t play, freshman Monte Morris will get the call. Morris scored in double-figures in three straight games prior to Saturday’s loss and has been one of the more pleasant surprises in the Big 12 this season.
UPDATE, 6:00 p.m: According to Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune Deandre Kane will play against Kansas.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 1
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft (3)