Jan 13, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The biggest news of the college hoops weekend had to do with injuries.
Casey Prather of Florida missed Saturday’s game with Arkansas. Colorado’s Spencer Dinwiddie injured his knee on Sunday night against Washington. And, of course, there was Iowa State’s all-american candidate Deandre Kane getting carried off the court after rolling his left ankle at the end of the Cyclone’s loss to Oklahoma.
Iowa State takes on Kansas tonight, and according to head coach Fred Hoiberg, Kane will very much be a game-time decision.
“I’ve been messaging with him this morning and he will be in soon for treatment,” he told reporters on a Big 12 conference call on Monday morning. “He wakes up sore, and that’s normal. We’ll see. The big thing is, seeing if he can run, and more importantly, seeing if he can cut. We’ll take a cautious approach.”
Kane didn’t practice on Sunday, and the biggest concern that the Iowa State staff has in regards to Kane’s ankle is how effective he’ll be. According to Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com, there’s a “good chance” that Kane suits up, but that doesn’t mean that he’ll be the same guy that went for 30 points, nine assists, eight boards and five steals against Baylor.
If Kane is ineffective or doesn’t play, freshman Monte Morris will get the call. Morris scored in double-figures in three straight games prior to Saturday’s loss and has been one of the more pleasant surprises in the Big 12 this season.
UPDATE, 6:00 p.m: According to Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune Deandre Kane will play against Kansas.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)