Jan 13, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
The biggest news of the college hoops weekend had to do with injuries.
Casey Prather of Florida missed Saturday’s game with Arkansas. Colorado’s Spencer Dinwiddie injured his knee on Sunday night against Washington. And, of course, there was Iowa State’s all-american candidate Deandre Kane getting carried off the court after rolling his left ankle at the end of the Cyclone’s loss to Oklahoma.
Iowa State takes on Kansas tonight, and according to head coach Fred Hoiberg, Kane will very much be a game-time decision.
“I’ve been messaging with him this morning and he will be in soon for treatment,” he told reporters on a Big 12 conference call on Monday morning. “He wakes up sore, and that’s normal. We’ll see. The big thing is, seeing if he can run, and more importantly, seeing if he can cut. We’ll take a cautious approach.”
Kane didn’t practice on Sunday, and the biggest concern that the Iowa State staff has in regards to Kane’s ankle is how effective he’ll be. According to Jeff Borzello of CBSSports.com, there’s a “good chance” that Kane suits up, but that doesn’t mean that he’ll be the same guy that went for 30 points, nine assists, eight boards and five steals against Baylor.
If Kane is ineffective or doesn’t play, freshman Monte Morris will get the call. Morris scored in double-figures in three straight games prior to Saturday’s loss and has been one of the more pleasant surprises in the Big 12 this season.
UPDATE, 6:00 p.m: According to Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune Deandre Kane will play against Kansas.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)