Jan 13, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
The Carrier Dome has been one of college basketball’s most unique venues since it opened back in 1980.
The Orange are the only school in the country to call a domed football stadium their home arena, but it has been that way for 34 long years now. It’s one of the premier venues to watch a college basketball game with as many as 35,000 of your best friends, but according to a report from the Syracuse.com, that may change in the near future.
There is nothing concrete in the report, nothing more than rumor and innuendo that’s been bouncing around the city.
The author, Michelle Breidenbach, calls the plans “preliminary” and says that those with knowledge are being “cagey” about it, but there appears to be a definite buzz in the region about a new sports facility, one that houses football and basketball, and maybe even hockey and a concert or two. Breidenbach even throws out the potential of a retractable roof, making outdoor hoops a possibility for Syracuse in January.
There are also some public figures quoted in the story that don’t seem to like the idea of public funds being used to build a new stadium.
Is Syracuse really going to have a hoops facility with a retractable roof.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)