Jan 13, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
The Carrier Dome has been one of college basketball’s most unique venues since it opened back in 1980.
The Orange are the only school in the country to call a domed football stadium their home arena, but it has been that way for 34 long years now. It’s one of the premier venues to watch a college basketball game with as many as 35,000 of your best friends, but according to a report from the Syracuse.com, that may change in the near future.
There is nothing concrete in the report, nothing more than rumor and innuendo that’s been bouncing around the city.
The author, Michelle Breidenbach, calls the plans “preliminary” and says that those with knowledge are being “cagey” about it, but there appears to be a definite buzz in the region about a new sports facility, one that houses football and basketball, and maybe even hockey and a concert or two. Breidenbach even throws out the potential of a retractable roof, making outdoor hoops a possibility for Syracuse in January.
There are also some public figures quoted in the story that don’t seem to like the idea of public funds being used to build a new stadium.
Is Syracuse really going to have a hoops facility with a retractable roof.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)