Jan 13, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
The Carrier Dome has been one of college basketball’s most unique venues since it opened back in 1980.
The Orange are the only school in the country to call a domed football stadium their home arena, but it has been that way for 34 long years now. It’s one of the premier venues to watch a college basketball game with as many as 35,000 of your best friends, but according to a report from the Syracuse.com, that may change in the near future.
There is nothing concrete in the report, nothing more than rumor and innuendo that’s been bouncing around the city.
The author, Michelle Breidenbach, calls the plans “preliminary” and says that those with knowledge are being “cagey” about it, but there appears to be a definite buzz in the region about a new sports facility, one that houses football and basketball, and maybe even hockey and a concert or two. Breidenbach even throws out the potential of a retractable roof, making outdoor hoops a possibility for Syracuse in January.
There are also some public figures quoted in the story that don’t seem to like the idea of public funds being used to build a new stadium.
Is Syracuse really going to have a hoops facility with a retractable roof.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)