Jan 13, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
The Carrier Dome has been one of college basketball’s most unique venues since it opened back in 1980.
The Orange are the only school in the country to call a domed football stadium their home arena, but it has been that way for 34 long years now. It’s one of the premier venues to watch a college basketball game with as many as 35,000 of your best friends, but according to a report from the Syracuse.com, that may change in the near future.
There is nothing concrete in the report, nothing more than rumor and innuendo that’s been bouncing around the city.
The author, Michelle Breidenbach, calls the plans “preliminary” and says that those with knowledge are being “cagey” about it, but there appears to be a definite buzz in the region about a new sports facility, one that houses football and basketball, and maybe even hockey and a concert or two. Breidenbach even throws out the potential of a retractable roof, making outdoor hoops a possibility for Syracuse in January.
There are also some public figures quoted in the story that don’t seem to like the idea of public funds being used to build a new stadium.
Is Syracuse really going to have a hoops facility with a retractable roof.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)