Jan 13, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Northwestern and head coach Chris Collins picked up a big home win on Sunday night as the Wildcats knocked off in-state rival No. 23 Illinois 49-43 as Collins earned his first Big Ten victory and first win over a ranked opponent as a head coach.
Then the Wildcats and Collins celebrated. There were shoulder bumps, dancing, yelling and a lot of smiles on the face of Northwestern’s team.
I particularly enjoy Northwestern assistant coaches Armon Gates and Pat Baldwin shoulder-bumping many of the players and how the team ambushes Collins when he arrives in the locker room for the first time to greet his team after the win.
It’s a definite rebuilding year in Evanston, but this is a huge win for Collins in his first year as Northwestern’s head coach.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)