Jan 13, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Northwestern and head coach Chris Collins picked up a big home win on Sunday night as the Wildcats knocked off in-state rival No. 23 Illinois 49-43 as Collins earned his first Big Ten victory and first win over a ranked opponent as a head coach.
Then the Wildcats and Collins celebrated. There were shoulder bumps, dancing, yelling and a lot of smiles on the face of Northwestern’s team.
I particularly enjoy Northwestern assistant coaches Armon Gates and Pat Baldwin shoulder-bumping many of the players and how the team ambushes Collins when he arrives in the locker room for the first time to greet his team after the win.
It’s a definite rebuilding year in Evanston, but this is a huge win for Collins in his first year as Northwestern’s head coach.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)