Jan 13, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Northwestern and head coach Chris Collins picked up a big home win on Sunday night as the Wildcats knocked off in-state rival No. 23 Illinois 49-43 as Collins earned his first Big Ten victory and first win over a ranked opponent as a head coach.
Then the Wildcats and Collins celebrated. There were shoulder bumps, dancing, yelling and a lot of smiles on the face of Northwestern’s team.
I particularly enjoy Northwestern assistant coaches Armon Gates and Pat Baldwin shoulder-bumping many of the players and how the team ambushes Collins when he arrives in the locker room for the first time to greet his team after the win.
It’s a definite rebuilding year in Evanston, but this is a huge win for Collins in his first year as Northwestern’s head coach.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)