Jan 13, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
Northwestern and head coach Chris Collins picked up a big home win on Sunday night as the Wildcats knocked off in-state rival No. 23 Illinois 49-43 as Collins earned his first Big Ten victory and first win over a ranked opponent as a head coach.
Then the Wildcats and Collins celebrated. There were shoulder bumps, dancing, yelling and a lot of smiles on the face of Northwestern’s team.
I particularly enjoy Northwestern assistant coaches Armon Gates and Pat Baldwin shoulder-bumping many of the players and how the team ambushes Collins when he arrives in the locker room for the first time to greet his team after the win.
It’s a definite rebuilding year in Evanston, but this is a huge win for Collins in his first year as Northwestern’s head coach.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)