Jan 13, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
The assumption in basketball circles has been that Australian phenom Dante Exum will never be a collegiate ball-player.
A talented, 6-foot-6 point guard, Exum has shot up NBA Draft boards since putting on a show during the U-19 World Championships this summer. He’s been recruited by a number of schools stateside — his only visit has been to Indiana — and as the son of a former Tar Heel, he’s kept his options (and his eligibility) intact.
But the general consensus for some time has been that Exum will enter his name in the talent-laden 2014 NBA Draft, and according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, Exum has spent the last couple of weeks meeting with potential agents at his home in Sydney.
Woj quotes two agents in the story. One said, “I would be shocked if he doesn’t enter the draft,” and the other was quoted as saying, “I can’t imagine him not coming out.”
It would make sense. Exum is currently rated as the fifth-best prospect by Draft Express, behind only Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle and Joel Embiid.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)