Jan 13, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
The assumption in basketball circles has been that Australian phenom Dante Exum will never be a collegiate ball-player.
A talented, 6-foot-6 point guard, Exum has shot up NBA Draft boards since putting on a show during the U-19 World Championships this summer. He’s been recruited by a number of schools stateside — his only visit has been to Indiana — and as the son of a former Tar Heel, he’s kept his options (and his eligibility) intact.
But the general consensus for some time has been that Exum will enter his name in the talent-laden 2014 NBA Draft, and according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, Exum has spent the last couple of weeks meeting with potential agents at his home in Sydney.
Woj quotes two agents in the story. One said, “I would be shocked if he doesn’t enter the draft,” and the other was quoted as saying, “I can’t imagine him not coming out.”
It would make sense. Exum is currently rated as the fifth-best prospect by Draft Express, behind only Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle and Joel Embiid.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 2
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)