Jan 13, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
The assumption in basketball circles has been that Australian phenom Dante Exum will never be a collegiate ball-player.
A talented, 6-foot-6 point guard, Exum has shot up NBA Draft boards since putting on a show during the U-19 World Championships this summer. He’s been recruited by a number of schools stateside — his only visit has been to Indiana — and as the son of a former Tar Heel, he’s kept his options (and his eligibility) intact.
But the general consensus for some time has been that Exum will enter his name in the talent-laden 2014 NBA Draft, and according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, Exum has spent the last couple of weeks meeting with potential agents at his home in Sydney.
Woj quotes two agents in the story. One said, “I would be shocked if he doesn’t enter the draft,” and the other was quoted as saying, “I can’t imagine him not coming out.”
It would make sense. Exum is currently rated as the fifth-best prospect by Draft Express, behind only Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle and Joel Embiid.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (3)