Jan 13, 2014, 1:41 PM EDT
Payne’s been dealing with plantar fasciitis all season long, and prior to the game against the Buckeyes, Payne sprained his right foot, the latest in a long line of injuries for Spartan players.
Tom Izzo said on Monday morning that the injury could end up keeping Payne out of the lineup for awhile, “until he is 100%”.
“I’ve got to look at the big picture for him,” Izzo said of Payne, a potential lottery pick, “and the big picture for us. … I do not see this lingering all year. Only if I let it, and I’m not gonna let it.”
Payne had 18 points in the win over Ohio State, but he sat out Saturday’s win over Minnesota. The Spartans play Northwestern and Illinois this week.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)