Jan 13, 2014, 12:27 AM EDT
Kyle Anderson went for 17 points, 13 boards and seven assists while Zach LaVine popped off for 19 points off the bench — 15 of which came in a first half flurry — as UCLA knocked off Arizona State at Pauley Pavilion, 87-72.
The Sun Devils got out to a quick start, but a UCLA went on a big first half run when they went to a lineup that featured Anderson, LaVine, Bryce Alford and Jordan Adams to take a 50-33 halftime lead. The Sun Devils were down as much as 23 in the second half, but they made a couple of surges. They had three or four open looks at a three in the final four minutes that could have really changed the complexion of the game had they gone in, but the Sun Devils were never able to get closer than nine.
Arizona State may be in some trouble here. Their two best wins on the season — at UNLV and over Marquette in the Wooden Legacy — look less and less impressive as the year goes on. The good news is that they still get home-and-homes with No. 1 Arizona, No. 15 Colorado, No. 17 Oregon and Cal. The bad news? Currently sitting at 2-2 in league play, they could easily finish the year under .500 in the conference.
Jahii Carson went 4-for-17 from the floor with four turnovers and four fouls. Arizona State simply cannot win when that happens.
As far as UCLA is concerned, they moved to 13-3 on the year. It’s an impressive record, but it’s one that’s full of fluff. Their best win is probably this win against Arizona State, unless you’re somehow enthralled with a victory over Alabama. With just six more league games at home, we’ll get a chance to see just how good these Bruins are.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- Syracuse freshman Chinoso Obokoh could lose year of eligibility due to NCAA issue (6)
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was (5)