Jan 13, 2014, 12:27 AM EST
Kyle Anderson went for 17 points, 13 boards and seven assists while Zach LaVine popped off for 19 points off the bench — 15 of which came in a first half flurry — as UCLA knocked off Arizona State at Pauley Pavilion, 87-72.
The Sun Devils got out to a quick start, but a UCLA went on a big first half run when they went to a lineup that featured Anderson, LaVine, Bryce Alford and Jordan Adams to take a 50-33 halftime lead. The Sun Devils were down as much as 23 in the second half, but they made a couple of surges. They had three or four open looks at a three in the final four minutes that could have really changed the complexion of the game had they gone in, but the Sun Devils were never able to get closer than nine.
Arizona State may be in some trouble here. Their two best wins on the season — at UNLV and over Marquette in the Wooden Legacy — look less and less impressive as the year goes on. The good news is that they still get home-and-homes with No. 1 Arizona, No. 15 Colorado, No. 17 Oregon and Cal. The bad news? Currently sitting at 2-2 in league play, they could easily finish the year under .500 in the conference.
Jahii Carson went 4-for-17 from the floor with four turnovers and four fouls. Arizona State simply cannot win when that happens.
As far as UCLA is concerned, they moved to 13-3 on the year. It’s an impressive record, but it’s one that’s full of fluff. Their best win is probably this win against Arizona State, unless you’re somehow enthralled with a victory over Alabama. With just six more league games at home, we’ll get a chance to see just how good these Bruins are.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)