Jan 14, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
James Young tied the score at 85-all with 12 second remaining in overtime. Rashad Madden brought the ball up the right sideline and instead of driving to the bucket, looking to draw the game’s 61st foul of the night, he settled for a bad 3-point shot. Luckily for Arkansas, he heaved the shot with two-plus seconds left on the clock.
As the shot went up, no one in a blue jersey located Michael Qualls, who came streaking down the baseline, and threw down a last-second tip-slam, putting the Razorbacks up two with 0.2 seconds remaining. Arkansas ended a long, foul-filled Tuesday night game against No. 13 Kentucky with a huge 87-85 win at Bud Walton Arena.
The game went to overtime after the Arkansas defense had a massive breakdown. A pair of Razorback defenders followed Young on the play, which left Andrew Harrison open on the wing, who drilled his first shot of the game with three seconds remaining in regulation.
For Arkansas, a collapse in overtime could have dashed any hope of the Razorbacks getting an NCAA tournament bid. And yes, it is only January. But Arkansas had lost games in Maui to Cal and Gonzaga, ranked No. 11 at the time. The Razorbacks then began SEC play with a 16-point loss at Texas A&M. That was followed by a home loss in overtime to then No. 10 Florida, which was without leading scorer Casey Prather.
Instead of heading to double-overtime and potentially falling to 0-3 in conference play, Arkansas picked up a quality win it was in need of this season.
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 52 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Bubble Banter: Oregon, Tennessee headline Saturday’s early winners 0
- Creighton’s Doug McDermott scores his 3,000th point (VIDEO) 0
- Oregon’s big win over No. 3 Arizona caps impressive regular season turnaround 1
- No. 8 Kansas loses, but The Andrew Wiggins Show is what’s important 1
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league 5
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy (6)
- Bracketology: Eight teams in play for No. 1 seeds (6)