Jan 15, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT
An Appalachian State sophomore forward has put together one of the best ticket drives I can remember.
Michael Obacha is a native of Nigeria, and throughout the rest of the reason, he will be running a charity drive to get shoes to ship back to his country.
“One of the main things I want to do is put a smile on the face of every child who gets shoes,” Obacha said in a statement from the Athletics Department. “We often take our blessings for granted, but something as simple as a new pair of shoes brings so much joy to these children and allows them to play the game they love.”
Fans that bring a pair of shoes to any of Appalachian State’s home games the rest of the season will be given a pair of tickets for free. Shipping isn’t free, however, so in addition to the 500 pairs of shoes that Obacha is trying to raise, he also needs to generate about $2,500 to pay the cost of transporting the shoes across the Atlantic Ocean.
If you would like to contribute, you can donate money through the Access 2 Success foundation, which was founded by Andrew Lovedale, another native Nigerian and a former teammate of Steph Curry’s at Davidson.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)