Jan 15, 2014, 9:05 AM EST
An Appalachian State sophomore forward has put together one of the best ticket drives I can remember.
Michael Obacha is a native of Nigeria, and throughout the rest of the reason, he will be running a charity drive to get shoes to ship back to his country.
“One of the main things I want to do is put a smile on the face of every child who gets shoes,” Obacha said in a statement from the Athletics Department. “We often take our blessings for granted, but something as simple as a new pair of shoes brings so much joy to these children and allows them to play the game they love.”
Fans that bring a pair of shoes to any of Appalachian State’s home games the rest of the season will be given a pair of tickets for free. Shipping isn’t free, however, so in addition to the 500 pairs of shoes that Obacha is trying to raise, he also needs to generate about $2,500 to pay the cost of transporting the shoes across the Atlantic Ocean.
If you would like to contribute, you can donate money through the Access 2 Success foundation, which was founded by Andrew Lovedale, another native Nigerian and a former teammate of Steph Curry’s at Davidson.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)