Jan 15, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Just over two weeks after it was announced that he was leaving the Iowa State program in search of more playing time, junior guard K.J. Bluford has found a new home.
Bluford announced via his Twitter account on Wednesday that he’ll be transferring to Northern Arizona, giving the Lumberjacks a player who averaged nearly 18 points per game as a sophomore at Northeast Community College in Nebraska last season. Bluford played in seven games at Iowa State before making the decision to leave the program in late-December, playing an average of 5.4 points per game and scoring 2.7 points per contest.
Bluford joins a backcourt that currently has two junior college transfers and three freshmen, with junior guard Aaseem Dixon being the team’s third-leading scorer (13.3 ppg) and leader in assists (2.7 apg). From a scoring standpoint freshman Kris Yanku is next in line with his 6.5 points per game, so this is an area in which Bluford can help NAU if he reverts to the form shown at the junior college level.
With second-leading scorer Max Jacobson, currently averaging 14.0 points per game, being a senior NAU will need the help of players such as Bluford next season (when he becomes eligible; likely at the end of the 2014 fall semester) to account for the production that will be lost as a result of Jacobson’s graduation. In addition to Bluford NAU will add two freshmen to the program next season: guard Tate de Laveaga and forward Terry Winn.
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 2
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 2
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Born without a right hand, Omar Ndiaye looking for his chance 0
- Illinois starting point guard suffers season-ending knee injury 1
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Report: Providence legend Marvin ‘Bad News’ Barnes passes away (2)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)