Jan 15, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Just over two weeks after it was announced that he was leaving the Iowa State program in search of more playing time, junior guard K.J. Bluford has found a new home.
Bluford announced via his Twitter account on Wednesday that he’ll be transferring to Northern Arizona, giving the Lumberjacks a player who averaged nearly 18 points per game as a sophomore at Northeast Community College in Nebraska last season. Bluford played in seven games at Iowa State before making the decision to leave the program in late-December, playing an average of 5.4 points per game and scoring 2.7 points per contest.
Bluford joins a backcourt that currently has two junior college transfers and three freshmen, with junior guard Aaseem Dixon being the team’s third-leading scorer (13.3 ppg) and leader in assists (2.7 apg). From a scoring standpoint freshman Kris Yanku is next in line with his 6.5 points per game, so this is an area in which Bluford can help NAU if he reverts to the form shown at the junior college level.
With second-leading scorer Max Jacobson, currently averaging 14.0 points per game, being a senior NAU will need the help of players such as Bluford next season (when he becomes eligible; likely at the end of the 2014 fall semester) to account for the production that will be lost as a result of Jacobson’s graduation. In addition to Bluford NAU will add two freshmen to the program next season: guard Tate de Laveaga and forward Terry Winn.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)