Jan 15, 2014, 10:09 PM EDT
Maryland just played the most important half of basketball that they’ll play all season long.
The Terps had entered the night just 2-2 in league play — with wins over Boston College and Georgia Tech — and 10-7 overall. They had lost their last two games and had been beaten by every relevant team they played. Their best win on the season? Either the Yellow Jackets or Northern Iowa. That’s not good.
On Wednesday, Maryland hosted a Notre Dame team that had lost two in a row since their surprising win over a struggling Duke team at home. Remember the game that Jabari Parker got benched for playing so poorly? Yeah, that was against the Irish. Point being, Maryland had a chance to pick off another stumbling, middle-of-the-ACC-pack team in a game that they really, really needed to win, and ten minutes into the game, the Terps were already down double-digits.
Notre Dame took a 34-25 lead into the half, but in the final 20 minutes, Maryland took over. They went on a 16-2 run to open up the second half, extending their to as much as 12 before holding on and winning 74-66.
Dez Wells scored 17 points, all in the second half, and Seth Allen went for 14 in his first start of the season, but what won this game for Maryland was their defense. They were much more active in the final 20 minutes, turning Notre Dame over and forcing them into tough shots.
It’s going to be an uphill battle for the Terps if they want to make the NCAA tournament, but this is a good way to start to turn things around.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Cheick Diallo was rated as the fifth-best player in the Class of 2015.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Jarvis Johnson was not cleared to play at Minnesota back in mid-June.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:38 PM EDT
The four-star point guard cut his list in half on Tuesday night.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
The games will be played August 11-16.
Aug 4, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
The lawsuit stems from an alleged incident back in March of 2014.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 power forward becomes the third four-star recruit in the Class of 2016 to commit to the Cavaliers.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:01 PM EDT
Both teams will be ranked in the preseason top 15 this season.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
Xavier Stapleton is sitting out this season after transferring from Louisiana Tech.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The Miners have a lot to replace next season.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
West is one of the best mid-major players in the country.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:08 AM EDT
Those are some serious hops.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
This kid isn’t even a sophomore yet.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:59 PM EDT
There are two glaring weaknesses to Kris Dunn’s game. Here’s how he’s gone about trying to fix them this summer.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
A cool documentary-style approach to the Under Armour Association in preparation for the Elite 24.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Nebraska is hoping a four-game trip in Spain helps with their freshmen.
Aug 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Baylor is losing a reserve forward to transfer.
Aug 3, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Mamadi Diakite, a four-star forward, could decide between three schools soon, per a report.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Tony Carr is a four-star point guard that picked Penn State over Maryland, SMU and Providence.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
The investigation was conducted by an outside law firm and paid for by the university.
Aug 3, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Alkins might be the best player from New York City since Lance Stephenson.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)
- Wichita State lands transfer guard from Texas A&M (2)