Jan 15, 2014, 3:22 PM EST
GAME OF THE NIGHT: UNLV at New Mexico, 9:00 p.m.
This is a huge game for UNLV. Enormous. Bordering on season’s-over-if-they-lose territory. The Rebels are 10-6 on the year right now, with a win over Mississippi State anchoring their resume right now. That ain’t good. And given the fact that the Mountain West is a bit down this season, they really only have a few more chances to land a win over an NCAA tournament team. Picking up a win at New Mexico could end up looking really good six weeks from now. The Rebels have a ton of work left to do, which means they need to start doing it.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: No. 12 Baylor at Texas Tech, 9:00 p.m.
The Bears did a lot of damage early on this season, but they haven’t done a thing notable since beating Kentucky on Dec. 6th besides get blown out by Iowa State. The Bears strength is their front line, but Isaiah Austin has had a bit of a disappointing sophomore season. Texas Tech is better than they’ve been given credit for. They have some size and talent up front and gave Iowa State some trouble at home two weeks back.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE NIGHT: Buffalo at Toledo, 7:00 p.m.
The Bulls are one of the more talented teams in the MAC, headlined by the player of mid-major all-american Javon McCrea. But Toledo was one of the last teams to remain unbeaten this season, winning 12 games in a row to start the year.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
1) No. 16 UMass heads to Fairfax where they will be taking on George Mason at the Patriot Center.
2) No. 4 Michigan State will be banged up tonight when they head to Northwestern, as Adreian Payne is a game-time decision with a sprained foot.
3) The most entertaining game of the night will happen at 11:00 p.m. tonight when Washington pays a visit to Berkeley to take on Cal.
4) No. 10 San Diego State will put their perfect MWC record on the line tonight when they host Fresno State.
5) Marshall Henderson will make his debut in SEC play this season as the Rebels host LSU tonight.
- TCU at No. 9 Oklahoma State, 8:00 p.m.
- St. Bonaventure at No. 24 Saint Louis, 8:00 p.m.
- Notre Dame at Maryland, 7:00 p.m.
- Georgetown at Xavier, 7:00 p.m.
- Auburn at Tennessee, 7:00 p.m.
- Florida State at Miami, 9:00 p.m.
- Purdue at Illinois, 9:00 p.m.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)