Jan 16, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
South Carolina’s 75-67 loss at Texas A&M on Wednesday was the third straight for Frank Martin’s team, and on Thursday the school announced that they suffered a personnel loss in the game as well.
Guard Tyrone Johnson, one of three players averaging 11.2 points per game to lead the way for the Gamecocks, suffered a broken right foot in the defeat and as a result is out indefinitely due to the need for surgery. Johnson played 13 minutes on Wednesday night before suffering the injury, and for the season the Villanova transfer was playing nearly 27 minutes per contest.
To say the least Johnson was an important cog in the Gamecock attack, not only because of his scoring ability but also the fact that he’s the team’s assist leader (3.4 apg). In the four games prior to his injury Johnson was averaging 15.5 points and 2.3 assists per game, shooting 42.3% from the field.
With Johnson out of the lineup more will be asked of Sindarius Thornwell and Brenton Williams, who like Johnson are currently averaging 11.2 points per game. And against Texas A&M freshman Duane Notice accounted for 12 points and five assists. Notice has tallied six assists in two games and eight in South Carolina’s 82-75 win over South Carolina State on January 3, and his ability as a distributor becomes even more important as a result of Johnson’s injury.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)