Jan 16, 2014, 4:56 PM EST
South Carolina’s 75-67 loss at Texas A&M on Wednesday was the third straight for Frank Martin’s team, and on Thursday the school announced that they suffered a personnel loss in the game as well.
Guard Tyrone Johnson, one of three players averaging 11.2 points per game to lead the way for the Gamecocks, suffered a broken right foot in the defeat and as a result is out indefinitely due to the need for surgery. Johnson played 13 minutes on Wednesday night before suffering the injury, and for the season the Villanova transfer was playing nearly 27 minutes per contest.
To say the least Johnson was an important cog in the Gamecock attack, not only because of his scoring ability but also the fact that he’s the team’s assist leader (3.4 apg). In the four games prior to his injury Johnson was averaging 15.5 points and 2.3 assists per game, shooting 42.3% from the field.
With Johnson out of the lineup more will be asked of Sindarius Thornwell and Brenton Williams, who like Johnson are currently averaging 11.2 points per game. And against Texas A&M freshman Duane Notice accounted for 12 points and five assists. Notice has tallied six assists in two games and eight in South Carolina’s 82-75 win over South Carolina State on January 3, and his ability as a distributor becomes even more important as a result of Johnson’s injury.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 9
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (10)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)