Jan 16, 2014, 4:56 PM EST
South Carolina’s 75-67 loss at Texas A&M on Wednesday was the third straight for Frank Martin’s team, and on Thursday the school announced that they suffered a personnel loss in the game as well.
Guard Tyrone Johnson, one of three players averaging 11.2 points per game to lead the way for the Gamecocks, suffered a broken right foot in the defeat and as a result is out indefinitely due to the need for surgery. Johnson played 13 minutes on Wednesday night before suffering the injury, and for the season the Villanova transfer was playing nearly 27 minutes per contest.
To say the least Johnson was an important cog in the Gamecock attack, not only because of his scoring ability but also the fact that he’s the team’s assist leader (3.4 apg). In the four games prior to his injury Johnson was averaging 15.5 points and 2.3 assists per game, shooting 42.3% from the field.
With Johnson out of the lineup more will be asked of Sindarius Thornwell and Brenton Williams, who like Johnson are currently averaging 11.2 points per game. And against Texas A&M freshman Duane Notice accounted for 12 points and five assists. Notice has tallied six assists in two games and eight in South Carolina’s 82-75 win over South Carolina State on January 3, and his ability as a distributor becomes even more important as a result of Johnson’s injury.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)