Jan 16, 2014, 4:56 PM EST
South Carolina’s 75-67 loss at Texas A&M on Wednesday was the third straight for Frank Martin’s team, and on Thursday the school announced that they suffered a personnel loss in the game as well.
Guard Tyrone Johnson, one of three players averaging 11.2 points per game to lead the way for the Gamecocks, suffered a broken right foot in the defeat and as a result is out indefinitely due to the need for surgery. Johnson played 13 minutes on Wednesday night before suffering the injury, and for the season the Villanova transfer was playing nearly 27 minutes per contest.
To say the least Johnson was an important cog in the Gamecock attack, not only because of his scoring ability but also the fact that he’s the team’s assist leader (3.4 apg). In the four games prior to his injury Johnson was averaging 15.5 points and 2.3 assists per game, shooting 42.3% from the field.
With Johnson out of the lineup more will be asked of Sindarius Thornwell and Brenton Williams, who like Johnson are currently averaging 11.2 points per game. And against Texas A&M freshman Duane Notice accounted for 12 points and five assists. Notice has tallied six assists in two games and eight in South Carolina’s 82-75 win over South Carolina State on January 3, and his ability as a distributor becomes even more important as a result of Johnson’s injury.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)