Jan 16, 2014, 4:53 PM EST
Rasheed Sulaimon’s sophomore season has not been what he thought it would be.
It’s not what we all thought it would be, either.
Duke’s talented shooting guard has had trouble this season adapting to being forced into being a role player, a guy that is the third or fourth option offensively to a couple of players that didn’t even play for the Blue Devils last season.
He was benched. He was embarrassed. And, as he told Mike DeCourcy of the Sporting News, it was all for the best:
“He made the right call sitting me out of the [Michigan] game,” Sulaimon said. “I could have come up with a million excuses of why I didn’t play … blamed somebody. The reality of the situation is I put myself in that situation. I had to get back to playing like myself, really. I felt embarrassed, like I let my teammates down, even though we won. I knew I never wanted to feel like that again.”
It was an ingenious bit of coaching from Mike Krzyzewski, proving to Sulaimon that he wouldn’t play if he didn’t play Coach K’s way and that the Blue Devils didn’t need him to play to win games.
But here’s the thing: they do need Sulaimon if they are going to win games, particularly with Jabari Parker struggling the way that the is right now. They just need him to believe in his role, and based on the performance he had in Tuesday night’s win over Virginia, it looks like that is starting to happen.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)