Jan 16, 2014, 4:53 PM EST
Rasheed Sulaimon’s sophomore season has not been what he thought it would be.
It’s not what we all thought it would be, either.
Duke’s talented shooting guard has had trouble this season adapting to being forced into being a role player, a guy that is the third or fourth option offensively to a couple of players that didn’t even play for the Blue Devils last season.
He was benched. He was embarrassed. And, as he told Mike DeCourcy of the Sporting News, it was all for the best:
“He made the right call sitting me out of the [Michigan] game,” Sulaimon said. “I could have come up with a million excuses of why I didn’t play … blamed somebody. The reality of the situation is I put myself in that situation. I had to get back to playing like myself, really. I felt embarrassed, like I let my teammates down, even though we won. I knew I never wanted to feel like that again.”
It was an ingenious bit of coaching from Mike Krzyzewski, proving to Sulaimon that he wouldn’t play if he didn’t play Coach K’s way and that the Blue Devils didn’t need him to play to win games.
But here’s the thing: they do need Sulaimon if they are going to win games, particularly with Jabari Parker struggling the way that the is right now. They just need him to believe in his role, and based on the performance he had in Tuesday night’s win over Virginia, it looks like that is starting to happen.
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 5
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)