Jan 16, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Chicken Knowles and the “Bring Chicken to the Bucket” Movement: A Timeline (Card Chronicle)
On Thursday night Houston visits the KFC Yum! Center to take on No. 18 Louisville, and the game is a special one for some Louisville fans. Why? Houston freshman forward Chicken Knowles will be on the floor, and back in 2011 he was the focus of a campaign of sorts to get him in a Louisville uniform. The “Bring Chicken to the Bucket” campaign comes to its rightful conclusion on Thursday, even if Knowles may not be a Cardinal.
The best college venues for NBA teams to scout games (Draft Express)
After giving this topic some publicity last week following the game between No. 1 Arizona and UCLA, with NBA scouts and executives in attendance none too thrilled with the way they were treated at Pauley Pavilion. Jonathan Givony of Draft Express gave a rundown of some of the best (and worst) venues for NBA decision-makers to scout college players.
When is it OK to storm the court in college basketball (Indianapolis Star)
With the decision of Indiana students to rush the floor after the Hoosiers beat No. 3 Wisconsin on Tuesday night, a few used the opportunity to climb up on their proverbial soapbox to discuss when such an event should occur. What are the “rules?” Should there even be “rules” when it comes to storming the court?
When Rowe became your coach, it was for life (Providence Journal)
If you want to stump the average college basketball fan, ask them who the head coach at UConn was before Jim Calhoun was hired in 1986. The answer is Dee Rowe, who just turned 85 years old and impacted the lives of many players he coached at various stops. One of those players was Providence Journal columnist Bill Reynolds, who played for Rowe at Worcester Academy.
Buffs preach cohesiveness on the court (Daily Camera)
No. 21 Colorado head coach Tad Boyle and his staff have preached cohesiveness all season long, and the results have been positive for the Buffaloes. And with Spencer Dinwiddie done for the season with a torn ACL and reserve guard Tre’Shaun Fletcher out 6-8 weeks, it’s even more important for the Buffaloes to heed those teachings with No. 25 UCLA visiting Boulder on Thursday night.
IPFW senior proving invaluable on, off of the court (Fort Wayne News-Sentinel)
IPFW senior guard Pierre Bland has been a valuable contributor for IPFW this season, leading the way in regards to both his production and his leadership qualities. With this being the case, Bland’s been a player held in high esteem by coaches and teammates alike.
Chemistry, maturity carrying top-ranked Cats into rivalry game (Arizona Daily Star)
While No. 1 Arizona is currently undefeated Sean Miller’s team hasn’t allowed the chatter to lead to overconfidence, and that’s key entering their game against in-state rival Arizona State on Thursday night. Two of the reasons why the Wildcats sit atop the polls and have yet to lose a game: good team chemistry, and players who have the maturity needed to properly handle the pressure that comes with a lofty ranking.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)