Jan 16, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 25 UCLA at No. 21 Colorado, 8:00 p.m.
Who is the second best team in the Pac-12? In the preseason, Colorado looked like they would be Arizona’s biggest challenger, but then they lost Spencer Dinwiddie. Oregon has been putting up a ton of points this season, but they don’t play any defense. Cal has looked great this season, but they don’t have any front court depth.
Can UCLA be that team? Well, UCLA doesn’t defend, either, and they still haven’t beaten anyone noteworthy this season. Are the Bruins really going to be a contender in this league? And how will Colorado respond without Dinwiddie?
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: No. 11 Ohio State at Minnesota, 9:00 p.m.
The Golden Gophers have been one of the most surprising teams in the country this season. Richard Pitino is doing a terrific job getting this group to be competitive. They have a shot at an at-large berth this year, but they are going to have to notch a couple wins over teams like — oh, I don’t know — Ohio State.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE DAY: Belmont at Eastern Kentucky, 7:00 p.m.
Eastern Kentucky was the favorite in the Ohio Valley entering the season. They took VCU to overtime in Richmond back in November. But it’s Belmont that is 4-0 in the OVC this season. It’s the Bruins that won a game at North Carolina. Can they stay on top of the conference?
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
1) If UConn is really going to be a contender in the American, this is the week that will determine that. Tonight, they visit No. 17 Memphis. On Saturday, they host No. 18 Louisville. Lose both, and the Huskies will be sitting at 1-4 in league play.
2) Speaking of Louisville, they host Houston tonight.
3) No. 1 Arizona will square off with in-state rival Arizona State tonight. The Sun Devils need to get this win.
4) Gonzaga will be making one of the tougher road trips in the WCC this season as they head down to Malibu to take on Pepperdine tonight.
5) Big game out in the Big Sky as Northern Colorado makes their toughest road trip of the season as they head up to Montana State tonight and Montana over the weekend.
- Providence at St. John’s, 7:00 p.m.
- Missouri at Vanderbilt, 7:00 p.m.
- Elon at Davidson, 7:00 p.m.
- New Mexico State at Chicago State, 8:00 p.m.
- USC at Utan, 10:00 p.m.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)