Jan 17, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Butler junior guard Alex Barlow has gone from being a walk-on who played in only 16 games as a freshmen to earning a spot in the starting lineup for 23 of the Bulldogs’ 36 games in 2012-13. This season Barlow’s started all 17 games for Butler, posting averages of 6.3 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game for the 10-7 Bulldogs.
Ahead of Butler’s game at Marquette on Saturday afternoon Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star told the story of Barlow and his late cousin Chrissy, who passed away in December after a lengthy battle with cancer.
She was Alex’s rock to lean on through every step of his basketball journey, amid every trial and triumph, as he went from a recruiting afterthought to a walk-on at Butler to, eventually, its starting point guard.
“I’ve always been the shortest kid on the team and the least athletic, and she was the one that was always there for me through the good and the bad,” he says. “She came to as many games as she could. And if she couldn’t, she’d text me as soon as it was over.”
The full story of Alex and Chrissy can be read here.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 37
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (37)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)