Jan 17, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Butler junior guard Alex Barlow has gone from being a walk-on who played in only 16 games as a freshmen to earning a spot in the starting lineup for 23 of the Bulldogs’ 36 games in 2012-13. This season Barlow’s started all 17 games for Butler, posting averages of 6.3 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game for the 10-7 Bulldogs.
Ahead of Butler’s game at Marquette on Saturday afternoon Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star told the story of Barlow and his late cousin Chrissy, who passed away in December after a lengthy battle with cancer.
She was Alex’s rock to lean on through every step of his basketball journey, amid every trial and triumph, as he went from a recruiting afterthought to a walk-on at Butler to, eventually, its starting point guard.
“I’ve always been the shortest kid on the team and the least athletic, and she was the one that was always there for me through the good and the bad,” he says. “She came to as many games as she could. And if she couldn’t, she’d text me as soon as it was over.”
The full story of Alex and Chrissy can be read here.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)