Jan 17, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Butler junior guard Alex Barlow has gone from being a walk-on who played in only 16 games as a freshmen to earning a spot in the starting lineup for 23 of the Bulldogs’ 36 games in 2012-13. This season Barlow’s started all 17 games for Butler, posting averages of 6.3 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game for the 10-7 Bulldogs.
Ahead of Butler’s game at Marquette on Saturday afternoon Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star told the story of Barlow and his late cousin Chrissy, who passed away in December after a lengthy battle with cancer.
She was Alex’s rock to lean on through every step of his basketball journey, amid every trial and triumph, as he went from a recruiting afterthought to a walk-on at Butler to, eventually, its starting point guard.
“I’ve always been the shortest kid on the team and the least athletic, and she was the one that was always there for me through the good and the bad,” he says. “She came to as many games as she could. And if she couldn’t, she’d text me as soon as it was over.”
The full story of Alex and Chrissy can be read here.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)