Jan 17, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Butler junior guard Alex Barlow has gone from being a walk-on who played in only 16 games as a freshmen to earning a spot in the starting lineup for 23 of the Bulldogs’ 36 games in 2012-13. This season Barlow’s started all 17 games for Butler, posting averages of 6.3 points, 3.5 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game for the 10-7 Bulldogs.
Ahead of Butler’s game at Marquette on Saturday afternoon Zak Keefer of the Indianapolis Star told the story of Barlow and his late cousin Chrissy, who passed away in December after a lengthy battle with cancer.
She was Alex’s rock to lean on through every step of his basketball journey, amid every trial and triumph, as he went from a recruiting afterthought to a walk-on at Butler to, eventually, its starting point guard.
“I’ve always been the shortest kid on the team and the least athletic, and she was the one that was always there for me through the good and the bad,” he says. “She came to as many games as she could. And if she couldn’t, she’d text me as soon as it was over.”
The full story of Alex and Chrissy can be read here.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)