Jan 17, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Nine games into the 2013-14 season sophomore guard Reggie Johnson made the decision to leave the program, resulting in the RedHawks losing their second-leading scorer at the time. Johnson averaged 11.8 points per game for Miami, eclipsing the 20-point mark in three of the nine games he played in.
According to College Basketball Talk’s Scott Phillips, Johnson has found a new home. Johnson will continue his career at Hampton, becoming eligible to play in games at the end of the 2014 fall semester.
The key for Johnson will be consistency, something that was an issue at Miami in the nine games he played in this season. In the five games that the guard failed to reach double figures he scored a total of 26 points, which works out to an average of 5.2 points per game. If consistent Johnson has the ability to help Hampton account for the eventual loss of forward Du’Vaughn Maxwell, currently their leading scorer (14.2 ppg) but out of eligibility at the end of the 2013-14 season.
Outside of senior Ramon Mercado the other guards on the Hampton roster are all underclassmen, with seven being either redshirt or true sophomores.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)
- Throwback Thursday: When we realized Russell Westbrook was a freak (VIDEO) (1)