Jan 17, 2014, 3:28 PM EDT
Nine games into the 2013-14 season sophomore guard Reggie Johnson made the decision to leave the program, resulting in the RedHawks losing their second-leading scorer at the time. Johnson averaged 11.8 points per game for Miami, eclipsing the 20-point mark in three of the nine games he played in.
According to College Basketball Talk’s Scott Phillips, Johnson has found a new home. Johnson will continue his career at Hampton, becoming eligible to play in games at the end of the 2014 fall semester.
The key for Johnson will be consistency, something that was an issue at Miami in the nine games he played in this season. In the five games that the guard failed to reach double figures he scored a total of 26 points, which works out to an average of 5.2 points per game. If consistent Johnson has the ability to help Hampton account for the eventual loss of forward Du’Vaughn Maxwell, currently their leading scorer (14.2 ppg) but out of eligibility at the end of the 2013-14 season.
Outside of senior Ramon Mercado the other guards on the Hampton roster are all underclassmen, with seven being either redshirt or true sophomores.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)