Jan 17, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
According to Louisville head coach Rick Pitino junior guard Chris Jones, who missed Thursday’s 91-52 win over Houston, is expected to miss the Cardinals’ game at UConn on Saturday night due to an oblique injury. Jones, the top-ranked junior college player at the end of last season, is averaging 11.3 points and 2.9 assists per game for the 18th-ranked Cardinals.
With Jones sidelined against Houston freshman Terry Rozier assumed the bulk of the point guard responsibilities, and the freshman put together a very good performance despite shooting 3-for-10 from the field. Rozier, starting his sixth game of the season, accounted for nine points, eight assists, four rebounds and two steals in 26 minutes of action.
Just as important was the fact that Rozier committed just one turnover, and that will be key against UConn on Saturday night at Gampel Pavilion.
The poised freshman looked calm and confident in his sixth start of the season. He filled in as a lead guard for injured junior Chris Jones, who strained an oblique muscle against SMU on Sunday and will miss a second consecutive game when Louisville plays UConn.
“It’s not so much of what I did,” Rozier said. “It’s what my teammates helped me do to get them good shots.”
With Luke Hancock rounding into form and Russ Smith, Louisville has two perimeter players capable of handling the bulk of the perimeter scoring with Montrezl Harrell finishing in the paint. And if Wayne Blackshear can build on his 23-point outing against Houston, that makes Rozier’s job even more manageable.
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)