Jan 17, 2014, 11:08 AM EDT
According to Louisville head coach Rick Pitino junior guard Chris Jones, who missed Thursday’s 91-52 win over Houston, is expected to miss the Cardinals’ game at UConn on Saturday night due to an oblique injury. Jones, the top-ranked junior college player at the end of last season, is averaging 11.3 points and 2.9 assists per game for the 18th-ranked Cardinals.
With Jones sidelined against Houston freshman Terry Rozier assumed the bulk of the point guard responsibilities, and the freshman put together a very good performance despite shooting 3-for-10 from the field. Rozier, starting his sixth game of the season, accounted for nine points, eight assists, four rebounds and two steals in 26 minutes of action.
Just as important was the fact that Rozier committed just one turnover, and that will be key against UConn on Saturday night at Gampel Pavilion.
The poised freshman looked calm and confident in his sixth start of the season. He filled in as a lead guard for injured junior Chris Jones, who strained an oblique muscle against SMU on Sunday and will miss a second consecutive game when Louisville plays UConn.
“It’s not so much of what I did,” Rozier said. “It’s what my teammates helped me do to get them good shots.”
With Luke Hancock rounding into form and Russ Smith, Louisville has two perimeter players capable of handling the bulk of the perimeter scoring with Montrezl Harrell finishing in the paint. And if Wayne Blackshear can build on his 23-point outing against Houston, that makes Rozier’s job even more manageable.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)