Jan 17, 2014, 11:08 AM EST
According to Louisville head coach Rick Pitino junior guard Chris Jones, who missed Thursday’s 91-52 win over Houston, is expected to miss the Cardinals’ game at UConn on Saturday night due to an oblique injury. Jones, the top-ranked junior college player at the end of last season, is averaging 11.3 points and 2.9 assists per game for the 18th-ranked Cardinals.
With Jones sidelined against Houston freshman Terry Rozier assumed the bulk of the point guard responsibilities, and the freshman put together a very good performance despite shooting 3-for-10 from the field. Rozier, starting his sixth game of the season, accounted for nine points, eight assists, four rebounds and two steals in 26 minutes of action.
Just as important was the fact that Rozier committed just one turnover, and that will be key against UConn on Saturday night at Gampel Pavilion.
The poised freshman looked calm and confident in his sixth start of the season. He filled in as a lead guard for injured junior Chris Jones, who strained an oblique muscle against SMU on Sunday and will miss a second consecutive game when Louisville plays UConn.
“It’s not so much of what I did,” Rozier said. “It’s what my teammates helped me do to get them good shots.”
With Luke Hancock rounding into form and Russ Smith, Louisville has two perimeter players capable of handling the bulk of the perimeter scoring with Montrezl Harrell finishing in the paint. And if Wayne Blackshear can build on his 23-point outing against Houston, that makes Rozier’s job even more manageable.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)