Jan 18, 2014, 5:29 PM EST
All that good that Indiana did with their win over No. 3 Wisconsin on Tuesday night?
Might as well go on and toss that out the window.
The Hoosiers shot 25% from the floor and 4-for-18 from three on Saturday afternoon, scoring eight points in the first 17 minutes of the game as the lost to Big Ten bottom-feeder Northwestern, 54-47.
It was about as ugly of a performance as you’re going to see a good basketball team put together, and it’s an example of just what is concerning about this Indiana team. How can they score? If teams are willing to pack in their defense and dare the Hoosiers to shoot from the perimeter, how can Indiana win games?
To get a sense of just how concerning this loss actually is for Indiana, think about it like this: two of Indiana’s four three-pointers were hit by Noah Vonleh, their starting center. Unfortunately, this is just who Indiana is this season. They have enough talent on their roster to beat teams like Wisconsin, which came about as a result of the penetrating ability of Yogi Ferrell and Stanford Robinson. But when that penetration is ineffective and Indiana’s threes are clanging off of the rim, they can lose to just about anyone.
That said, it’s unfair to pin all the blame on Indiana without crediting Northwestern for pulling out another ugly win. This is the second time that the Wildcats have beaten an NCAA tournament caliber team in Big Ten play this season, but their other win came at home against Illinois. This was on the road in a place where a top ten team suffered their only loss of the season.
I think it’s fair to say now that Northwestern basketball fans are getting a glimpse at just what Chris Collins is capable of.
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)