Jan 18, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
According to a report from ESPN.com’s Jeff Goodman and Brett McMurphy, the NCAA is reviewing the eligibility of South Florida starting freshman center John Egbunu.
Egbunu has started 16 of 17 games for South Florida this season and is averaging eight points and 6.9 rebounds per game for the Bulls. The freshman is a native of Nigeria.
Goodman and McMurphy are reporting that Egbunu’s former grassroots coach, Linzy Davis, has been contacted by and spoken to the NCAA regarding Egbunu, who lived with Davis during the center’s junior year in high school.
South Florida said in a statement on Friday it had been “contacted” by the NCAA over “concerns involving one of our student-athletes.”
“We have initiated a review of the matter and have asked the NCAA to assist us,” the school’s statement read.
South Florida would not reveal the student-athlete in question by maintains the athlete was, “completely certified and cleared by the NCAA Eligibility Center prior to enrolling.”
ESPN has sources indicating that the player in question is Egbunu and South Florida head coach Stan Heath told ESPN.com on Friday night, “I feel confident in this matter. John’s status has not changed. He will start Saturday against Cincinnati.”
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)