Jan 18, 2014, 11:13 AM EST
According to a report from ESPN.com’s Jeff Goodman and Brett McMurphy, the NCAA is reviewing the eligibility of South Florida starting freshman center John Egbunu.
Egbunu has started 16 of 17 games for South Florida this season and is averaging eight points and 6.9 rebounds per game for the Bulls. The freshman is a native of Nigeria.
Goodman and McMurphy are reporting that Egbunu’s former grassroots coach, Linzy Davis, has been contacted by and spoken to the NCAA regarding Egbunu, who lived with Davis during the center’s junior year in high school.
South Florida said in a statement on Friday it had been “contacted” by the NCAA over “concerns involving one of our student-athletes.”
“We have initiated a review of the matter and have asked the NCAA to assist us,” the school’s statement read.
South Florida would not reveal the student-athlete in question by maintains the athlete was, “completely certified and cleared by the NCAA Eligibility Center prior to enrolling.”
ESPN has sources indicating that the player in question is Egbunu and South Florida head coach Stan Heath told ESPN.com on Friday night, “I feel confident in this matter. John’s status has not changed. He will start Saturday against Cincinnati.”
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 0
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)