Jan 18, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
According to a report from ESPN.com’s Jeff Goodman and Brett McMurphy, the NCAA is reviewing the eligibility of South Florida starting freshman center John Egbunu.
Egbunu has started 16 of 17 games for South Florida this season and is averaging eight points and 6.9 rebounds per game for the Bulls. The freshman is a native of Nigeria.
Goodman and McMurphy are reporting that Egbunu’s former grassroots coach, Linzy Davis, has been contacted by and spoken to the NCAA regarding Egbunu, who lived with Davis during the center’s junior year in high school.
South Florida said in a statement on Friday it had been “contacted” by the NCAA over “concerns involving one of our student-athletes.”
“We have initiated a review of the matter and have asked the NCAA to assist us,” the school’s statement read.
South Florida would not reveal the student-athlete in question by maintains the athlete was, “completely certified and cleared by the NCAA Eligibility Center prior to enrolling.”
ESPN has sources indicating that the player in question is Egbunu and South Florida head coach Stan Heath told ESPN.com on Friday night, “I feel confident in this matter. John’s status has not changed. He will start Saturday against Cincinnati.”
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)