Jan 18, 2014, 11:13 AM EDT
According to a report from ESPN.com’s Jeff Goodman and Brett McMurphy, the NCAA is reviewing the eligibility of South Florida starting freshman center John Egbunu.
Egbunu has started 16 of 17 games for South Florida this season and is averaging eight points and 6.9 rebounds per game for the Bulls. The freshman is a native of Nigeria.
Goodman and McMurphy are reporting that Egbunu’s former grassroots coach, Linzy Davis, has been contacted by and spoken to the NCAA regarding Egbunu, who lived with Davis during the center’s junior year in high school.
South Florida said in a statement on Friday it had been “contacted” by the NCAA over “concerns involving one of our student-athletes.”
“We have initiated a review of the matter and have asked the NCAA to assist us,” the school’s statement read.
South Florida would not reveal the student-athlete in question by maintains the athlete was, “completely certified and cleared by the NCAA Eligibility Center prior to enrolling.”
ESPN has sources indicating that the player in question is Egbunu and South Florida head coach Stan Heath told ESPN.com on Friday night, “I feel confident in this matter. John’s status has not changed. He will start Saturday against Cincinnati.”
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)