Jan 20, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Kansas continues to roll in Big 12 play as the No. 8 Jayhawks got past No. 24 Baylor with a 78-68 win on Monday night in Lawrence.
The win for Kansas marked the fourth consecutive win for the Jayhawks over a ranked opponent, the first time that a team has beaten four straight ranked teams since North Carolina in 1996-97.
For the Jayhawks, it was another night in which freshmen Joel Embiid (12 points) and Andrew Wiggins had flashes of brilliance and received support from a number of other players on Kansas, most notably sophomore Perry Ellis. Kansas shot 23-for-40 for 57 percent from the field and 26-for-29 from the free throw line for the game and did a good job remaining patient and finding good shots.
Ellis looked great operating the baseline and going inside-out to the tune of a team-high 18 points and Wiggins went for 17 points and seven rebounds — and a really solid 10-for-12 from the free throw line — as the Jayhawks led the entire second half and outplayed Baylor for much of the contest.
Baylor also struggled to 39 percent shooting from the field, even though they were 13-for-27 from three-point range (48 percent) for the game. Not many teams are going to beat Kansas on the road by shooting 31 percent (10-for-32) on two-point field goal attempts like Baylor did on Monday night.
It wasn’t the biggest win for the Jayhawks on Monday night — and they continue to roll through their very difficult schedule — but Kansas is clearly the class of the Big 12 after a 4-0 start over Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas State and Oklahoma State and they continue to get better by winning games in different ways.
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 1
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 1
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (24)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)